Para swimmer Jigar Thakker gets PM Modi's attention, sets sight on 2020 Paralympics
December 1, 2017
19-year-old Jigar Thakker from Rajkot has cerebral palsy, but has never let that come in the way of his dreams.
Sights set on 2018 Para Asian Games
A para swimmer, Jigar came in for some attention in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's radio show Mann ki Baat on 26 November. In his show, Modi praised Jigar's performance at the 17th National Para Swimming Championship held in Udaipur. He said that Jigar's determination is admirable and wished him luck for the 2020 Paralympics.
Jigar is happy with the attention and says it has increased his motivation to prepare for the 2020 event. He aims to make India proud in the 2018 Para Asian Games in Indonesia and 2020 Paralympics in Japan.
He spends eight hours doing different exercises - four hours of swimming, two and a half hours of gymnasium and exercises and one and a half hours of yoga.
His parents, Jayesh and Heena Thakker, help Jigar in the swimming pool. They take turns to oversee his swimming pool and exercise routine.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News