Para swimmer Jigar Thakker gets PM Modi's attention, sets sight on 2020 Paralympics
19-year-old Jigar Thakker from Rajkot has cerebral palsy, but has never let that come in the way of his dreams.
Sights set on 2018 Para Asian Games
A para swimmer, Jigar came in for some attention in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's radio show Mann ki Baat on 26 November. In his show, Modi praised Jigar's performance at the 17th National Para Swimming Championship held in Udaipur. He said that Jigar's determination is admirable and wished him luck for the 2020 Paralympics.
Jigar is happy with the attention and says it has increased his motivation to prepare for the 2020 event. He aims to make India proud in the 2018 Para Asian Games in Indonesia and 2020 Paralympics in Japan.
He spends eight hours doing different exercises - four hours of swimming, two and a half hours of gymnasium and exercises and one and a half hours of yoga.
His parents, Jayesh and Heena Thakker, help Jigar in the swimming pool. They take turns to oversee his swimming pool and exercise routine.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019