Para swimmer Jigar Thakker gets PM Modi's attention, sets sight on 2020 Paralympics
December 1, 2017
19-year-old Jigar Thakker from Rajkot has cerebral palsy, but has never let that come in the way of his dreams.
Sights set on 2018 Para Asian Games
A para swimmer, Jigar came in for some attention in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's radio show Mann ki Baat on 26 November. In his show, Modi praised Jigar's performance at the 17th National Para Swimming Championship held in Udaipur. He said that Jigar's determination is admirable and wished him luck for the 2020 Paralympics.
Jigar is happy with the attention and says it has increased his motivation to prepare for the 2020 event. He aims to make India proud in the 2018 Para Asian Games in Indonesia and 2020 Paralympics in Japan.
He spends eight hours doing different exercises - four hours of swimming, two and a half hours of gymnasium and exercises and one and a half hours of yoga.
His parents, Jayesh and Heena Thakker, help Jigar in the swimming pool. They take turns to oversee his swimming pool and exercise routine.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News