Inclusive Spaces - Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first accessible taxi service
In the run up to 3 December, the day the world celebrates as International Day of Persons with Disabilities, NewzHook starts a series on Inclusive Spaces.
These are spaces across India that are determined to promote inclusion in small ways. Of course, access to many basic facilities like banks, travel, education, and employment remain far from reach for many in the disabled population. But there are signs of change and the series aims to highlight those changes - the good, and sometimes the not-so-good, but brought to you from the perspective of someone with a disability.
We kick off the series with a photo story by Darshita Shah, from Ahmedabad who works in Apang Manav Mandal, a disability rights group. Darshita works full-time and needs to travel to work everyday, which is an ordeal as her wheelchair does not fit into a regular-sized car.
Now thanks to Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first wheelchair accessible cab service, Darshita is able to travel whenever and wherever she wants to, comfortably and independently.
Ability on Wheels has been launched as part of Accessible India, with the help of funds from Start-up Gujarat. The taxi is a modified vehicle with a ramp and enough headspace to make sitting for long hours comfortable.
The initiative is the brainchild of Harish Kumar, co-founder of AoW, who plans to launch this in other cities in Gujarat soon. The taxi is available for hire at Rs 600 for 2 hours or 20 km, and can be booked via app or by calling 9429633859.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
DAG Modern New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
- The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
December 11, 2018
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018