Inclusive Spaces - Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first accessible taxi service
In the run up to 3 December, the day the world celebrates as International Day of Persons with Disabilities, NewzHook starts a series on Inclusive Spaces.
These are spaces across India that are determined to promote inclusion in small ways. Of course, access to many basic facilities like banks, travel, education, and employment remain far from reach for many in the disabled population. But there are signs of change and the series aims to highlight those changes - the good, and sometimes the not-so-good, but brought to you from the perspective of someone with a disability.
We kick off the series with a photo story by Darshita Shah, from Ahmedabad who works in Apang Manav Mandal, a disability rights group. Darshita works full-time and needs to travel to work everyday, which is an ordeal as her wheelchair does not fit into a regular-sized car.
Now thanks to Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first wheelchair accessible cab service, Darshita is able to travel whenever and wherever she wants to, comfortably and independently.
Ability on Wheels has been launched as part of Accessible India, with the help of funds from Start-up Gujarat. The taxi is a modified vehicle with a ramp and enough headspace to make sitting for long hours comfortable.
The initiative is the brainchild of Harish Kumar, co-founder of AoW, who plans to launch this in other cities in Gujarat soon. The taxi is available for hire at Rs 600 for 2 hours or 20 km, and can be booked via app or by calling 9429633859.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
DAG Modern New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019