Inclusive Spaces - Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first accessible taxi service
December 15, 2017
In the run up to 3 December, the day the world celebrates as International Day of Persons with Disabilities, NewzHook starts a series on Inclusive Spaces.
These are spaces across India that are determined to promote inclusion in small ways. Of course, access to many basic facilities like banks, travel, education, and employment remain far from reach for many in the disabled population. But there are signs of change and the series aims to highlight those changes - the good, and sometimes the not-so-good, but brought to you from the perspective of someone with a disability.
We kick off the series with a photo story by Darshita Shah, from Ahmedabad who works in Apang Manav Mandal, a disability rights group. Darshita works full-time and needs to travel to work everyday, which is an ordeal as her wheelchair does not fit into a regular-sized car.
Now thanks to Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first wheelchair accessible cab service, Darshita is able to travel whenever and wherever she wants to, comfortably and independently.
Ability on Wheels has been launched as part of Accessible India, with the help of funds from Start-up Gujarat. The taxi is a modified vehicle with a ramp and enough headspace to make sitting for long hours comfortable.
The initiative is the brainchild of Harish Kumar, co-founder of AoW, who plans to launch this in other cities in Gujarat soon. The taxi is available for hire at Rs 600 for 2 hours or 20 km, and can be booked via app or by calling 9429633859.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
DAG Modern New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
- Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
April 22, 2019
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 Court orders UIDAI to give Aadhaar to woman without fingerprints
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News