Inclusive Spaces - Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first accessible taxi service
December 15, 2017
In the run up to 3 December, the day the world celebrates as International Day of Persons with Disabilities, NewzHook starts a series on Inclusive Spaces.
These are spaces across India that are determined to promote inclusion in small ways. Of course, access to many basic facilities like banks, travel, education, and employment remain far from reach for many in the disabled population. But there are signs of change and the series aims to highlight those changes - the good, and sometimes the not-so-good, but brought to you from the perspective of someone with a disability.
We kick off the series with a photo story by Darshita Shah, from Ahmedabad who works in Apang Manav Mandal, a disability rights group. Darshita works full-time and needs to travel to work everyday, which is an ordeal as her wheelchair does not fit into a regular-sized car.
Now thanks to Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first wheelchair accessible cab service, Darshita is able to travel whenever and wherever she wants to, comfortably and independently.
Ability on Wheels has been launched as part of Accessible India, with the help of funds from Start-up Gujarat. The taxi is a modified vehicle with a ramp and enough headspace to make sitting for long hours comfortable.
The initiative is the brainchild of Harish Kumar, co-founder of AoW, who plans to launch this in other cities in Gujarat soon. The taxi is available for hire at Rs 600 for 2 hours or 20 km, and can be booked via app or by calling 9429633859.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
DAG Modern New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
- Headlines August 12, 2019 68 lives lost in Kerala floods
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Events August 14, 2019 Let your hands do the talking
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News