Inclusive Spaces - Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first accessible taxi service
December 15, 2017
In the run up to 3 December, the day the world celebrates as International Day of Persons with Disabilities, NewzHook starts a series on Inclusive Spaces.
These are spaces across India that are determined to promote inclusion in small ways. Of course, access to many basic facilities like banks, travel, education, and employment remain far from reach for many in the disabled population. But there are signs of change and the series aims to highlight those changes - the good, and sometimes the not-so-good, but brought to you from the perspective of someone with a disability.
We kick off the series with a photo story by Darshita Shah, from Ahmedabad who works in Apang Manav Mandal, a disability rights group. Darshita works full-time and needs to travel to work everyday, which is an ordeal as her wheelchair does not fit into a regular-sized car.
Now thanks to Ability on Wheels, Gujarat's first wheelchair accessible cab service, Darshita is able to travel whenever and wherever she wants to, comfortably and independently.
Ability on Wheels has been launched as part of Accessible India, with the help of funds from Start-up Gujarat. The taxi is a modified vehicle with a ramp and enough headspace to make sitting for long hours comfortable.
The initiative is the brainchild of Harish Kumar, co-founder of AoW, who plans to launch this in other cities in Gujarat soon. The taxi is available for hire at Rs 600 for 2 hours or 20 km, and can be booked via app or by calling 9429633859.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
DAG Modern New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News