This Chhattisgarh para-athlete found inspiration in repeated rejections
December 6, 2017
25 years old Shrimant Jha is a disabled arm wrestler from Chhattisgarh. He has won a silver medal at the para-arm wrestling World Cup in Poland. Shrimant says his biggest motivations were the rejections he faced at an early age.
When Shrimant was in class 10, he wanted to participate in an inter-school football championship. He made it to the list of top 22 among 200 players, but says he was later rejected due to his disability.
That was his turning point, says Shrimant. He decided to work that much harder and win a medal for India.
Shrimant was born with four fingers in both his hands, but that has not stopped him from representing India in arm wrestling since 2013. He also works as junior engineer in a private company to support his family financially.
Shrimant said that despite winning medals for the country, he has not got any financial help or job from the state government.
He now aims to perform his best at the upcoming Para Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News