This Chhattisgarh para-athlete found inspiration in repeated rejections
25 years old Shrimant Jha is a disabled arm wrestler from Chhattisgarh. He has won a silver medal at the para-arm wrestling World Cup in Poland. Shrimant says his biggest motivations were the rejections he faced at an early age.
When Shrimant was in class 10, he wanted to participate in an inter-school football championship. He made it to the list of top 22 among 200 players, but says he was later rejected due to his disability.
That was his turning point, says Shrimant. He decided to work that much harder and win a medal for India.
Shrimant was born with four fingers in both his hands, but that has not stopped him from representing India in arm wrestling since 2013. He also works as junior engineer in a private company to support his family financially.
Shrimant said that despite winning medals for the country, he has not got any financial help or job from the state government.
He now aims to perform his best at the upcoming Para Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
- India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
December 16, 2018
- Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
December 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 16, 2018
Parasports December 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018