This Chhattisgarh para-athlete found inspiration in repeated rejections
25 years old Shrimant Jha is a disabled arm wrestler from Chhattisgarh. He has won a silver medal at the para-arm wrestling World Cup in Poland. Shrimant says his biggest motivations were the rejections he faced at an early age.
When Shrimant was in class 10, he wanted to participate in an inter-school football championship. He made it to the list of top 22 among 200 players, but says he was later rejected due to his disability.
That was his turning point, says Shrimant. He decided to work that much harder and win a medal for India.
Shrimant was born with four fingers in both his hands, but that has not stopped him from representing India in arm wrestling since 2013. He also works as junior engineer in a private company to support his family financially.
Shrimant said that despite winning medals for the country, he has not got any financial help or job from the state government.
He now aims to perform his best at the upcoming Para Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News