This Chhattisgarh para-athlete found inspiration in repeated rejections
25 years old Shrimant Jha is a disabled arm wrestler from Chhattisgarh. He has won a silver medal at the para-arm wrestling World Cup in Poland. Shrimant says his biggest motivations were the rejections he faced at an early age.
When Shrimant was in class 10, he wanted to participate in an inter-school football championship. He made it to the list of top 22 among 200 players, but says he was later rejected due to his disability.
That was his turning point, says Shrimant. He decided to work that much harder and win a medal for India.
Shrimant was born with four fingers in both his hands, but that has not stopped him from representing India in arm wrestling since 2013. He also works as junior engineer in a private company to support his family financially.
Shrimant said that despite winning medals for the country, he has not got any financial help or job from the state government.
He now aims to perform his best at the upcoming Para Olympics.
Watch in Sign Language
- Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
October 21, 2018
- Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
October 18, 2018
- India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
October 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News