Inclusive Spaces - Children's Parks, Bengaluru
December 15, 2017
All children love to play. Through play, they explore the world around them, they invent and they create. Play is not just fun and games. It helps improve learning, build friendships, and teaches team spirit.
In our series on Inclusive Spaces, today we profile three children's parks in Bengaluru that are bringing this valuable experience of play to all children, including those with disabilities. Most parks in India are not designed for kids with disabilities. They are neither wheelchair accessible and nor do they have equipment that makes play an enriching experience.
Kilikili brings inclusive play to life
Kilikili, an organisation based in Bengaluru, has been working tirelessly to change this since 2005. Founded by Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Kilikili is working towards building playgrounds for children with special needs.
Tactile pathways & bucket swings make play a sensory experience
In this photo story, we look at three parks in the city of Bengaluru that have been designed by Kilikili after consultations with children with disabilities as well as special educators, parents and paediatricians. From bucket swings to tactile pathways to sand pits that are accessible to wheelchair users, these parks simply stun you with the breadth of vision and thought that have gone behind creating them.
Today, Kilikili is working with schools and organisations in many other cities to promote inclusive play.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
Ability On Wheels, Ahmedabad
DAG Modern, New Delhi
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Events June 26, 2019 Coaching Classes for Visually Impaired Students
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News