Inclusive Spaces - Children's Parks, Bengaluru
December 15, 2017
All children love to play. Through play, they explore the world around them, they invent and they create. Play is not just fun and games. It helps improve learning, build friendships, and teaches team spirit.
In our series on Inclusive Spaces, today we profile three children's parks in Bengaluru that are bringing this valuable experience of play to all children, including those with disabilities. Most parks in India are not designed for kids with disabilities. They are neither wheelchair accessible and nor do they have equipment that makes play an enriching experience.
Kilikili brings inclusive play to life
Kilikili, an organisation based in Bengaluru, has been working tirelessly to change this since 2005. Founded by Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Kilikili is working towards building playgrounds for children with special needs.
Tactile pathways & bucket swings make play a sensory experience
In this photo story, we look at three parks in the city of Bengaluru that have been designed by Kilikili after consultations with children with disabilities as well as special educators, parents and paediatricians. From bucket swings to tactile pathways to sand pits that are accessible to wheelchair users, these parks simply stun you with the breadth of vision and thought that have gone behind creating them.
Today, Kilikili is working with schools and organisations in many other cities to promote inclusive play.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
Ability On Wheels, Ahmedabad
DAG Modern, New Delhi
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Indian wins Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament title
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News