Inclusive Spaces - Children's Parks, Bengaluru
All children love to play. Through play, they explore the world around them, they invent and they create. Play is not just fun and games. It helps improve learning, build friendships, and teaches team spirit.
In our series on Inclusive Spaces, today we profile three children's parks in Bengaluru that are bringing this valuable experience of play to all children, including those with disabilities. Most parks in India are not designed for kids with disabilities. They are neither wheelchair accessible and nor do they have equipment that makes play an enriching experience.
Kilikili brings inclusive play to life
Kilikili, an organisation based in Bengaluru, has been working tirelessly to change this since 2005. Founded by Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Kilikili is working towards building playgrounds for children with special needs.
Tactile pathways & bucket swings make play a sensory experience
In this photo story, we look at three parks in the city of Bengaluru that have been designed by Kilikili after consultations with children with disabilities as well as special educators, parents and paediatricians. From bucket swings to tactile pathways to sand pits that are accessible to wheelchair users, these parks simply stun you with the breadth of vision and thought that have gone behind creating them.
Today, Kilikili is working with schools and organisations in many other cities to promote inclusive play.
To watch the other photo stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click below:
Ability On Wheels, Ahmedabad
DAG Modern, New Delhi
Big Bazaar Mumbai
Watch in Sign Language
- 'Meet' the man who is bringing Hindi & Urdu poetry alive for visually impaired people
October 23, 2018
- Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
October 22, 2018
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer to get married on 15 November
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
- Parasports October 18, 2018 India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Amritsar train tragedy - Organisers go missing, police yet to identify accused
- Get-hooked October 23, 2018 Some indoor fun options for children with autism
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News