World Disability Day reality check. Para swim champs are struggling to live their dreams
For para swimmers Mohammed Shams Alam Khan and Satendra Singh, the excitement around World Disability Day seems empty. These champions are struggling to pursue their passion of swimming for their country.
Alam, who is from Mumbai, wants to participate in the Asian Para Games 2018 but is struggling to find sponsors for advanced training and to take part in qualification tournaments. Alam is the Limca Book world record holder for the longest open sea swimming paraplegic in 2014.
No funds for para swimming champs
Alam also set a record for completing the longest open-sea swimming by a paraplegic by covering eight kilometres in four hours and four minutes in Goa. He says he is confused about whether to take up a full-time job or continue with his passion for swimming. He has no support from the Maharashtra government.
This is even after winning two gold medals during the Nationals in Udaipur in November. Alam won gold is S5 category with national records in 50m butterfly and 100m freestyle, and a silver in 50m freestyle.
Little support from Maharashtra government
His friend Satendra Singh from Gwalior is a long distance para swimmer and is currently training in Pune with three others para swimmers Rimo Saha, Chetan Raut and Jagdish Teli for the English Channel Relays but they are struggling to raise funds required for expenditure in the competition. Raut is from Amravati.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News