Inclusive Spaces - Big Bazaar, Thakur Mall makes shopping easy for the blind
December 14, 2017
Shopping is not fun for everyone. And shopping in a mall can be even more confusing. Look at it from the perspective of a disabled person, and the picture is even more chaotic. Few malls in India have Braille signage, or sign language interpreters.
Mall shopping becomes less chaotic
Future Retail Limited, the firm which hosts value format Big Bazaar, is determined to change that. They are looking at introducing accessible shopping across a few stores in India. In October, Big Bazaar launched a special 'listening session' in 105 stores where people with disabilities were invited to experience the new features and give their feedback. Based on their inputs, changes are gradually being made.
One such Big Bazaar store in Thakur Mall, Kandivili, in Mumbai is the focus of our next photo story in the Inclusive Spaces series. Dinesh Saraiya, who is blind, and his wife Monika, a wheelchair user, sent us their pictures while they were shopping at this particular mall.
Shopping assistants, priority counter, trained staff
From an escort who guided them from the entrance to shopping assistants, they were helped at every stage. The assistant are trained on how to communicate with the disabled and have a basic understanding about every disability. Big Bazaar is training its staff across various touch points to be sensitive to the needs of the disabled.For instance, the Saraiyas were even helped out with a vehicle to go back home.
All Big Bazaar stores have a dedicated priority counter for easy billing. There is trained staff at all key touch points from security to cashier to customer desk. There is even an Accessibility Champion in every store to handle questions.
Some of the features Big Bazaar has in the pipeline are tactile maps in the key stores, accessible changing rooms for wheelchair users, and unisex washrooms.
To watch the other stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click:
Ability On Wheels New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
DAG Modern New Delhi
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News