Inclusive Spaces - Big Bazaar, Thakur Mall makes shopping easy for the blind
Shopping is not fun for everyone. And shopping in a mall can be even more confusing. Look at it from the perspective of a disabled person, and the picture is even more chaotic. Few malls in India have Braille signage, or sign language interpreters.
Mall shopping becomes less chaotic
Future Retail Limited, the firm which hosts value format Big Bazaar, is determined to change that. They are looking at introducing accessible shopping across a few stores in India. In October, Big Bazaar launched a special 'listening session' in 105 stores where people with disabilities were invited to experience the new features and give their feedback. Based on their inputs, changes are gradually being made.
One such Big Bazaar store in Thakur Mall, Kandivili, in Mumbai is the focus of our next photo story in the Inclusive Spaces series. Dinesh Saraiya, who is blind, and his wife Monika, a wheelchair user, sent us their pictures while they were shopping at this particular mall.
Shopping assistants, priority counter, trained staff
From an escort who guided them from the entrance to shopping assistants, they were helped at every stage. The assistant are trained on how to communicate with the disabled and have a basic understanding about every disability. Big Bazaar is training its staff across various touch points to be sensitive to the needs of the disabled.For instance, the Saraiyas were even helped out with a vehicle to go back home.
All Big Bazaar stores have a dedicated priority counter for easy billing. There is trained staff at all key touch points from security to cashier to customer desk. There is even an Accessibility Champion in every store to handle questions.
Some of the features Big Bazaar has in the pipeline are tactile maps in the key stores, accessible changing rooms for wheelchair users, and unisex washrooms.
To watch the other stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click:
Ability On Wheels New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
DAG Modern New Delhi
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News