Inclusive Spaces - Big Bazaar, Thakur Mall makes shopping easy for the blind
December 14, 2017
Shopping is not fun for everyone. And shopping in a mall can be even more confusing. Look at it from the perspective of a disabled person, and the picture is even more chaotic. Few malls in India have Braille signage, or sign language interpreters.
Mall shopping becomes less chaotic
Future Retail Limited, the firm which hosts value format Big Bazaar, is determined to change that. They are looking at introducing accessible shopping across a few stores in India. In October, Big Bazaar launched a special 'listening session' in 105 stores where people with disabilities were invited to experience the new features and give their feedback. Based on their inputs, changes are gradually being made.
One such Big Bazaar store in Thakur Mall, Kandivili, in Mumbai is the focus of our next photo story in the Inclusive Spaces series. Dinesh Saraiya, who is blind, and his wife Monika, a wheelchair user, sent us their pictures while they were shopping at this particular mall.
Shopping assistants, priority counter, trained staff
From an escort who guided them from the entrance to shopping assistants, they were helped at every stage. The assistant are trained on how to communicate with the disabled and have a basic understanding about every disability. Big Bazaar is training its staff across various touch points to be sensitive to the needs of the disabled.For instance, the Saraiyas were even helped out with a vehicle to go back home.
All Big Bazaar stores have a dedicated priority counter for easy billing. There is trained staff at all key touch points from security to cashier to customer desk. There is even an Accessibility Champion in every store to handle questions.
Some of the features Big Bazaar has in the pipeline are tactile maps in the key stores, accessible changing rooms for wheelchair users, and unisex washrooms.
To watch the other stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click:
Ability On Wheels New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
DAG Modern New Delhi
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News