How can employers be more welcoming of people with disabilities?
This article was published first in The Hindu.
People with disabilities are not different from others in the workplace. They need the same things — to use the lift, talk to colleagues and business contacts, work on documents, be part of team training, apply for leave online, read the employee newsletter, even sip a beverage or enjoy a meal in the canteen — but may need the workplace to give them that access in different ways.
Inclusion happens at multiple levels: societal, organisational, in teams, and on a one-to-one basis. A truly inclusive workplace provides solutions to enable people with disabilities to seamlessly interact with their environment and colleagues. As more such people join the workforce, we must understand their needs and see how we can create an enabling environment.
It’s time to look at it holistically rather than from a single lens. Let us start with the physical environment.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Headlines December 18, 2018 New Madhya Pradesh CM waives off farmers' loan after taking charge
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Events December 17, 2018 Blind Cricket League
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018