How can employers be more welcoming of people with disabilities?
December 3, 2017
This article was published first in The Hindu.
People with disabilities are not different from others in the workplace. They need the same things – to use the lift, talk to colleagues and business contacts, work on documents, be part of team training, apply for leave online, read the employee newsletter, even sip a beverage or enjoy a meal in the canteen – but may need the workplace to give them that access in different ways.
Inclusion happens at multiple levels: societal, organisational, in teams, and on a one-to-one basis. A truly inclusive workplace provides solutions to enable people with disabilities to seamlessly interact with their environment and colleagues. As more such people join the workforce, we must understand their needs and see how we can create an enabling environment.
It's time to look at it holistically rather than from a single lens. Let us start with the physical environment.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News