How can employers be more welcoming of people with disabilities?
This article was published first in The Hindu.
People with disabilities are not different from others in the workplace. They need the same things — to use the lift, talk to colleagues and business contacts, work on documents, be part of team training, apply for leave online, read the employee newsletter, even sip a beverage or enjoy a meal in the canteen — but may need the workplace to give them that access in different ways.
Inclusion happens at multiple levels: societal, organisational, in teams, and on a one-to-one basis. A truly inclusive workplace provides solutions to enable people with disabilities to seamlessly interact with their environment and colleagues. As more such people join the workforce, we must understand their needs and see how we can create an enabling environment.
It’s time to look at it holistically rather than from a single lens. Let us start with the physical environment.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Accessibility October 15, 2018 Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Education October 18, 2018 Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News