How can employers be more welcoming of people with disabilities?
December 3, 2017
This article was published first in The Hindu.
People with disabilities are not different from others in the workplace. They need the same things – to use the lift, talk to colleagues and business contacts, work on documents, be part of team training, apply for leave online, read the employee newsletter, even sip a beverage or enjoy a meal in the canteen – but may need the workplace to give them that access in different ways.
Inclusion happens at multiple levels: societal, organisational, in teams, and on a one-to-one basis. A truly inclusive workplace provides solutions to enable people with disabilities to seamlessly interact with their environment and colleagues. As more such people join the workforce, we must understand their needs and see how we can create an enabling environment.
It's time to look at it holistically rather than from a single lens. Let us start with the physical environment.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Education April 11, 2019 #AutismPower - Chennai's CanBridge Academy offers work & life skills training for disabled youth
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News