This checklist will tell you if your child has missed important growth milestones
December 6, 2017
A checklist has been prepared by doctors at Mumbai's Sion Hospital and the New Horizons' Health and Research Foundation that can help parents spot developmental delays right at a child's first birthday.
Developmental delays is the term used to describe delays in a child reaching growth milestones in crawling, sitting up, walking, speaking, among others. A child with developmental delays could have dyslexia, autism, among other neurological problems.
It is estimated that one in every 10 child has some sort of learning disability. A 2005 study says that 65 million children fail to achieve developmental potential.
In India there is such a lack of awareness about these disorders that diagnosis is often delayed until the child is in school. There also is a shortage of specialists who can diagnose and help in rehabilitation of such children.
Right now, early detection of developmental delays is dependent on doctors and nurses. In the United States, doctors have to conduct a screen test for such delays but this is not possible in India as there is a shortage of paediatricians.
Development Delay Checklist
At 12 months, check if your child:
- Claps hands when asked to
- Pushes arm through a sleeve while dressing
- Picks a small object using pincer grip
- Puts a toy down and then takes hands off it.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Parasports March 24, 2019 Kerala para athletes climb Nainital’s highest peak, aim to inspire youngsters
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 An inclusive blindfolded walkathon at Delhi University aims to build inclusion
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News