This checklist will tell you if your child has missed important growth milestones
December 6, 2017
A checklist has been prepared by doctors at Mumbai's Sion Hospital and the New Horizons' Health and Research Foundation that can help parents spot developmental delays right at a child's first birthday.
Developmental delays is the term used to describe delays in a child reaching growth milestones in crawling, sitting up, walking, speaking, among others. A child with developmental delays could have dyslexia, autism, among other neurological problems.
It is estimated that one in every 10 child has some sort of learning disability. A 2005 study says that 65 million children fail to achieve developmental potential.
In India there is such a lack of awareness about these disorders that diagnosis is often delayed until the child is in school. There also is a shortage of specialists who can diagnose and help in rehabilitation of such children.
Right now, early detection of developmental delays is dependent on doctors and nurses. In the United States, doctors have to conduct a screen test for such delays but this is not possible in India as there is a shortage of paediatricians.
Development Delay Checklist
At 12 months, check if your child:
- Claps hands when asked to
- Pushes arm through a sleeve while dressing
- Picks a small object using pincer grip
- Puts a toy down and then takes hands off it.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News