This checklist will tell you if your child has missed important growth milestones
December 6, 2017
A checklist has been prepared by doctors at Mumbai's Sion Hospital and the New Horizons' Health and Research Foundation that can help parents spot developmental delays right at a child's first birthday.
Developmental delays is the term used to describe delays in a child reaching growth milestones in crawling, sitting up, walking, speaking, among others. A child with developmental delays could have dyslexia, autism, among other neurological problems.
It is estimated that one in every 10 child has some sort of learning disability. A 2005 study says that 65 million children fail to achieve developmental potential.
In India there is such a lack of awareness about these disorders that diagnosis is often delayed until the child is in school. There also is a shortage of specialists who can diagnose and help in rehabilitation of such children.
Right now, early detection of developmental delays is dependent on doctors and nurses. In the United States, doctors have to conduct a screen test for such delays but this is not possible in India as there is a shortage of paediatricians.
Development Delay Checklist
At 12 months, check if your child:
- Claps hands when asked to
- Pushes arm through a sleeve while dressing
- Picks a small object using pincer grip
- Puts a toy down and then takes hands off it.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News