This checklist will tell you if your child has missed important growth milestones
A checklist has been prepared by doctors at Mumbai's Sion Hospital and the New Horizons' Health and Research Foundation that can help parents spot developmental delays right at a child's first birthday.
Developmental delays is the term used to describe delays in a child reaching growth milestones in crawling, sitting up, walking, speaking, among others. A child with developmental delays could have dyslexia, autism, among other neurological problems.
It is estimated that one in every 10 child has some sort of learning disability. A 2005 study says that 65 million children fail to achieve developmental potential.
In India there is such a lack of awareness about these disorders that diagnosis is often delayed until the child is in school. There also is a shortage of specialists who can diagnose and help in rehabilitation of such children.
Right now, early detection of developmental delays is dependent on doctors and nurses. In the United States, doctors have to conduct a screen test for such delays but this is not possible in India as there is a shortage of paediatricians.
Development Delay Checklist
At 12 months, check if your child:
- Claps hands when asked to
- Pushes arm through a sleeve while dressing
- Picks a small object using pincer grip
- Puts a toy down and then takes hands off it.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some driving tips for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
November 19, 2018
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Headlines November 18, 2018 India-Australia cricket series to begin on 21 November
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 16, 2018
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News