3D-printed ear implants help improve hearing for the deaf
December 12, 2017
Scientists in the United States say that 3D-printed, custom-designed prosthetic replacements for the damaged parts of the middle ear, are helping to improve surgical treatments for the deaf.
The technique helps to improve a surgical procedure that often fails because of incorrectly sized prosthetic implants.
The surgery involves designing a prosthesis for each patient in the operating room, and has high failure rates.One reason is because of the incorrect sizing of the prostheses.
3D technology has been used to solve a number of other medical prosthesis problems, including in the areas of joint replacement and facial reconstruction surgery.
The researchers used an inexpensive 3D printer to create prostheses that hardens when exposed to ultraviolet laser light.
Four surgeons inserted the prosthesis into each middle ear. The technique increases the chances of a proper fit and reduces surgical time.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News