3D-printed ear implants help improve hearing for the deaf
Scientists in the United States say that 3D-printed, custom-designed prosthetic replacements for the damaged parts of the middle ear, are helping to improve surgical treatments for the deaf.
The technique helps to improve a surgical procedure that often fails because of incorrectly sized prosthetic implants.
The surgery involves designing a prosthesis for each patient in the operating room, and has high failure rates.One reason is because of the incorrect sizing of the prostheses.
3D technology has been used to solve a number of other medical prosthesis problems, including in the areas of joint replacement and facial reconstruction surgery.
The researchers used an inexpensive 3D printer to create prostheses that hardens when exposed to ultraviolet laser light.
Four surgeons inserted the prosthesis into each middle ear. The technique increases the chances of a proper fit and reduces surgical time.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News