A walk for the blind through the fascinating streets of Chandni Chowk!
December 5, 2017
On the occasion of World Disability Day on 3 December, Enable Travel organized a food and heritage walk for the blind at Chandni Chowk in New Delhi.
This was an inclusive walk open to everyone, people with and without disabilities.
Two guides were present all along and they ensured that visitors were constantly given historical information about the beautiful lanes of Chandni Chowk. This made the walk both charming and informative.
Considerable thought was given to the quality of the tour as the guides gave information that involved all the five senses. They outlined a rough map on the palms of the blind participants using their fingers, to help them understand the layout of the places.
The bells from the temple, and the aroma of the food led the way into the fascinating tour of around two hours.
The first stop was the Gauri Shankar Mandir, followed by the famous "Samosa and Jalebi Waala".
The next stop was the famous "Paranthe Wali Gali", which is well known for Delhi's famous paranthas. The experience was a food lover's delight. There was a trip to Kedar Nath Premchand Halwai, famous for its Nagori Halwa and kachoris. This food experience was merged with the cultural touch of the famous Kanari Bazar.
It is commendable that despite the traffic and narrow crowded lanes Enable Travel ensured that the travel was a safe, informative and fun experience.
The number of people who were part of this fun walk was few. But hopefully in future there will be greater participation once word spreads.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 #RareDiseases - Attitude key when living with Ataxia
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Accessibility July 12, 2019 Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Rohit Sharma to lead India for West Indies series
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News