Braille sheets & wheelchairs - Gujarat elections set to go truly inclusive!
December 10, 2017
A Braille press of the latest model has been busy at work at the Blind People's Association in Ahmedabad for the last one week.
Walk in and you will find many sheets of Braille neatly piled up and numbered to be sent to the districts of Gujarat. There are about 60,000 sheets here and they will help make the 2017 Assembly elections inclusive for the blind.
The Braille sheets are being printed for each booth and they mention the candidate's serial number on ballot, his or her name, and the name of the election symbol of the candidate.
Voting in Gujarat made more accessible compared to past elections
Voters will need to go through the names other details and decide who to vote for. They can approach the EVM which has Braille numbers against the buttons and cast their vote by pushing the button.
In the previous elections, Braille sheets were given only to those booths that had a high number of blind voters. This time, every booth will have the sheet so that the person on can cast the vote on their own.
Wheelchairs will also be put at major booths so people with mobility issues can come to the voting centres. According to Census 2011, Gujarat has over 10 lakh people with disabilities. The Election Commission has selected disabled people as ambassadors to encourage people to cast their vote.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News