Braille sheets & wheelchairs - Gujarat elections set to go truly inclusive!
A Braille press of the latest model has been busy at work at the Blind People's Association in Ahmedabad for the last one week.
Walk in and you will find many sheets of Braille neatly piled up and numbered to be sent to the districts of Gujarat. There are about 60,000 sheets here and they will help make the 2017 Assembly elections inclusive for the blind.
The Braille sheets are being printed for each booth and they mention the candidate's serial number on ballot, his or her name, and the name of the election symbol of the candidate.
Voting in Gujarat made more accessible compared to past elections
Voters will need to go through the names other details and decide who to vote for. They can approach the EVM which has Braille numbers against the buttons and cast their vote by pushing the button.
In the previous elections, Braille sheets were given only to those booths that had a high number of blind voters. This time, every booth will have the sheet so that the person on can cast the vote on their own.
Wheelchairs will also be put at major booths so people with mobility issues can come to the voting centres. According to Census 2011, Gujarat has over 10 lakh people with disabilities. The Election Commission has selected disabled people as ambassadors to encourage people to cast their vote.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News