Karnataka to increase reservation in government jobs for disabled
December 5, 2017
The Karnataka government has announced that the state will soon have four per cent reservation in A and B categories of government jobs for the disabled.
Earlier the reservation in these two categories was three per cent, while C and D categories had five per cent reservation.
In June 2016, the Supreme Court had ordered that three per cent reservation be provided in all government posts and services.
The state government is also looking at introducing services for blind mothers. Karnataka has received nine awards for empowering the disabled, and the state gives a monthly allowance to people with disabilities.
But the event at which this was announced was disrupted by a disabled person, who said that the the motor vehicles given by the department to PwD were of poor quality.
35-year-old Shashidhar, who lost a leg to polio, said that he met with an accident while riding a two wheeler with support wheels provided by the department. He said that the department were cheating the disabled with substandard quality vehicles.
He said that while the government spends lakhs of rupees on announcing major schemes, the situation on the ground was different. Similar complaints were voiced by others at the function as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Former union Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody until Monday
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News