Karnataka to increase reservation in government jobs for disabled
The Karnataka government has announced that the state will soon have four per cent reservation in A and B categories of government jobs for the disabled.
Earlier the reservation in these two categories was three per cent, while C and D categories had five per cent reservation.
In June 2016, the Supreme Court had ordered that three per cent reservation be provided in all government posts and services.
The state government is also looking at introducing services for blind mothers. Karnataka has received nine awards for empowering the disabled, and the state gives a monthly allowance to people with disabilities.
But the event at which this was announced was disrupted by a disabled person, who said that the the motor vehicles given by the department to PwD were of poor quality.
35-year-old Shashidhar, who lost a leg to polio, said that he met with an accident while riding a two wheeler with support wheels provided by the department. He said that the department were cheating the disabled with substandard quality vehicles.
He said that while the government spends lakhs of rupees on announcing major schemes, the situation on the ground was different. Similar complaints were voiced by others at the function as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- Career choices for people with autism
November 11, 2018
- Career options for people with learning disabilities
November 9, 2018
- Some tips to manage the workplace for adults with ADHD
October 30, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Image of 'Statue of Unity' from space released by American company
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 It is never the end unless you believe it to be - My Take by Thasveer Muhammed, model, actor & motivational speaker
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018