Karnataka to increase reservation in government jobs for disabled
December 5, 2017
The Karnataka government has announced that the state will soon have four per cent reservation in A and B categories of government jobs for the disabled.
Earlier the reservation in these two categories was three per cent, while C and D categories had five per cent reservation.
In June 2016, the Supreme Court had ordered that three per cent reservation be provided in all government posts and services.
The state government is also looking at introducing services for blind mothers. Karnataka has received nine awards for empowering the disabled, and the state gives a monthly allowance to people with disabilities.
But the event at which this was announced was disrupted by a disabled person, who said that the the motor vehicles given by the department to PwD were of poor quality.
35-year-old Shashidhar, who lost a leg to polio, said that he met with an accident while riding a two wheeler with support wheels provided by the department. He said that the department were cheating the disabled with substandard quality vehicles.
He said that while the government spends lakhs of rupees on announcing major schemes, the situation on the ground was different. Similar complaints were voiced by others at the function as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 25, 2019 111 farmers to contest elections against PM Modi
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Dance therapy does wonders for disabled kids. Check it out
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Accessibility March 25, 2019 PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News