Karnataka to increase reservation in government jobs for disabled
The Karnataka government has announced that the state will soon have four per cent reservation in A and B categories of government jobs for the disabled.
Earlier the reservation in these two categories was three per cent, while C and D categories had five per cent reservation.
In June 2016, the Supreme Court had ordered that three per cent reservation be provided in all government posts and services.
The state government is also looking at introducing services for blind mothers. Karnataka has received nine awards for empowering the disabled, and the state gives a monthly allowance to people with disabilities.
But the event at which this was announced was disrupted by a disabled person, who said that the the motor vehicles given by the department to PwD were of poor quality.
35-year-old Shashidhar, who lost a leg to polio, said that he met with an accident while riding a two wheeler with support wheels provided by the department. He said that the department were cheating the disabled with substandard quality vehicles.
He said that while the government spends lakhs of rupees on announcing major schemes, the situation on the ground was different. Similar complaints were voiced by others at the function as well.
Watch in Sign Language
- How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
January 17, 2019
- Some tips to consider when working with a person who has Down syndrome
December 31, 2018
- AIIMS violates hiring norms for disabled people
December 29, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 16, 2019 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Disabled people in Goa accuse authorities of demanding full body pictures for disability certificates
- Employment January 17, 2019 How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News