Karnataka to increase reservation in government jobs for disabled
December 5, 2017
The Karnataka government has announced that the state will soon have four per cent reservation in A and B categories of government jobs for the disabled.
Earlier the reservation in these two categories was three per cent, while C and D categories had five per cent reservation.
In June 2016, the Supreme Court had ordered that three per cent reservation be provided in all government posts and services.
The state government is also looking at introducing services for blind mothers. Karnataka has received nine awards for empowering the disabled, and the state gives a monthly allowance to people with disabilities.
But the event at which this was announced was disrupted by a disabled person, who said that the the motor vehicles given by the department to PwD were of poor quality.
35-year-old Shashidhar, who lost a leg to polio, said that he met with an accident while riding a two wheeler with support wheels provided by the department. He said that the department were cheating the disabled with substandard quality vehicles.
He said that while the government spends lakhs of rupees on announcing major schemes, the situation on the ground was different. Similar complaints were voiced by others at the function as well.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Headlines May 24, 2019 Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News