Artificial Limb Centre at Pune looks to manufacture ultra modern solutions for amputees
There are plans to develop the Artificial Limb Centre at the The Armed Forces Medical Services in Pune into an ultra modern facility.
The facility will provide artificial limb, appliances and rehabilitative care to soldiers and will carry out research aimed at building locally developed solutions to its requirements.
The Ministry of Defense has asked the centre to submit detailed plans for the modernisation of the centre.
Because modern challenges are different, there is a need for the facility to be advanced to cater to future needs. The soldiers are in warlike situations constantly and injuries due to mine blasts, enemy action and counter terrorism are much more common. Therefore, modern facilities are needed to meet these needs.
The ALC's manufacturing unit creates develops artificial limbs but the centre buys other modern limbs from private manufacturers to cater to the need of patients. Rather than buy them, the centre plans to manufacture modern and more functional limb.
Soldiers, both disabled and paraplegic, have been performing well at international sports events in the past few years. Making expensive limbs, like the blades used by blade runners, in India will be a major achievement.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Smileys India bats for inclusion through art
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Fun, meaningful ways that World Disability Day was celebrated across India
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 VaccesS 2018 an exhibition about innovative & latest assistive devices
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Wedding preparations of Mukesh Ambani's daughter begin
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News