Artificial Limb Centre at Pune looks to manufacture ultra modern solutions for amputees
December 5, 2017
There are plans to develop the Artificial Limb Centre at the The Armed Forces Medical Services in Pune into an ultra modern facility.
The facility will provide artificial limb, appliances and rehabilitative care to soldiers and will carry out research aimed at building locally developed solutions to its requirements.
The Ministry of Defense has asked the centre to submit detailed plans for the modernisation of the centre.
Because modern challenges are different, there is a need for the facility to be advanced to cater to future needs. The soldiers are in warlike situations constantly and injuries due to mine blasts, enemy action and counter terrorism are much more common. Therefore, modern facilities are needed to meet these needs.
The ALC's manufacturing unit creates develops artificial limbs but the centre buys other modern limbs from private manufacturers to cater to the need of patients. Rather than buy them, the centre plans to manufacture modern and more functional limb.
Soldiers, both disabled and paraplegic, have been performing well at international sports events in the past few years. Making expensive limbs, like the blades used by blade runners, in India will be a major achievement.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
- Accessibility July 12, 2019 Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News