Artificial Limb Centre at Pune looks to manufacture ultra modern solutions for amputees
There are plans to develop the Artificial Limb Centre at the The Armed Forces Medical Services in Pune into an ultra modern facility.
The facility will provide artificial limb, appliances and rehabilitative care to soldiers and will carry out research aimed at building locally developed solutions to its requirements.
The Ministry of Defense has asked the centre to submit detailed plans for the modernisation of the centre.
Because modern challenges are different, there is a need for the facility to be advanced to cater to future needs. The soldiers are in warlike situations constantly and injuries due to mine blasts, enemy action and counter terrorism are much more common. Therefore, modern facilities are needed to meet these needs.
The ALC's manufacturing unit creates develops artificial limbs but the centre buys other modern limbs from private manufacturers to cater to the need of patients. Rather than buy them, the centre plans to manufacture modern and more functional limb.
Soldiers, both disabled and paraplegic, have been performing well at international sports events in the past few years. Making expensive limbs, like the blades used by blade runners, in India will be a major achievement.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News