Inclusive Spaces - Delhi Metro
In our Inclusive Spaces series, we bring you this report from the Delhi Metro, which is a crucial mode of public transport in the Capital.
The report is from Nimmi Jain who works full-time and travels around Delhi using the Metro. Why does she find the Metro convenient? From ramps that make it easy for her to manoeuvre her wheelchair, to a helper to lifts, there are many measures here that make it accessible to people with a mobility problem.
What sets the Delhi Metro project is that right from the planning stage, the needs of the disabled and the elderly was taken into account, with the help of the NGO Samarthyam, to promote universal access.
Many stations have designated parking for people with disabilities, ramps with handrails and signage. There is also a warning paving for the blind, and bright colour contrast for people with low vision.
Of course, like many other accessible spaces, there is scope for improvement. As Nimmi shows us, a coach set aside for the disabled would be a major asset, given the rush during peak hours.
To watch the other stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click:
Ability On Wheels New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
DAG Modern New Delhi
Big Bazaar, Thakur Mall Mumbai
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- Headlines December 18, 2018 Congress leader jailed for life in anti-Sikh riots case
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Events December 17, 2018 Dementia Caregivers' Support Group Meet
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018