Inclusive Spaces - Delhi Metro
December 10, 2017
In our Inclusive Spaces series, we bring you this report from the Delhi Metro, which is a crucial mode of public transport in the Capital.
The report is from Nimmi Jain who works full-time and travels around Delhi using the Metro. Why does she find the Metro convenient? From ramps that make it easy for her to manoeuvre her wheelchair, to a helper to lifts, there are many measures here that make it accessible to people with a mobility problem.
What sets the Delhi Metro project is that right from the planning stage, the needs of the disabled and the elderly was taken into account, with the help of the NGO Samarthyam, to promote universal access.
Many stations have designated parking for people with disabilities, ramps with handrails and signage. There is also a warning paving for the blind, and bright colour contrast for people with low vision.
Of course, like many other accessible spaces, there is scope for improvement. As Nimmi shows us, a coach set aside for the disabled would be a major asset, given the rush during peak hours.
To watch the other stories in the Inclusive Spaces series, click:
Ability On Wheels New Delhi
Children's Parks Bengaluru
DAG Modern New Delhi
Big Bazaar, Thakur Mall Mumbai
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News