Supreme Court to Uttar Pradesh -Set up system to promote inclusive education
The Uttar Pradesh government has been directed to come up with a system that helps promote inclusive education. This is to make sure that students with disabilities are not denied a regular, mainstream education.
UP government under fire for failure to promote inclusive education
The court has also asked the state government how it would work out the provisions of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, by providing inclusive education.
It has asked the state department of education to file a reply keeping in mind the provisions of the Act that deal with equality and non-discrimination. The reply also has to mention the number of disabled children in the state and the categories of the disability.
The Uttar Pradesh has claimed that 16 special schools have already been established, which are working and have teachers in place. It claims the schools are teaching the blind, deaf, speech impaired and physically disabled kids.
With regards to mental disability, it said there were two schools running at Allahabad and Lucknow, while two special schools for the physically disabled are in Lucknow and Pratapgarh.
Seventeen more schools were under construction for children with special needs. This is after the court asked why there were no separate schools and trained teachers for students who suffer from autism, are blind and deaf.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News