Disabled achievers take to the ramp to promote inclusive marriages
Many couples walked the fashion ramp in Chennai to promote inclusive marriages as part of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Like Shalini, a fashion designer, who is married to disabled entrepreneur Visakan Rajendiran. Dressed in her best, she moved his wheelchair as both waved at the audience.
Rajendiran said that the disabled men are eligible bachelors like anybody else and deserved good-looking partners and should not compromise on this due to their disability.
Another participant, Poongothai said it was his disabled partner who proposed to him.
The event was organised by the Headway Foundation as part of its first year anniversary. Achievers included Justin Vijay Jesudas, national Paralympic swimming champion; Sathyamoorthy, international wheelchair tennis player; Meenakshi, a rights activist, and Shams Alaam, Mr India Wheelchair 2017 and paraplegic world record holder in open sea swimming.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News