Disabled achievers take to the ramp to promote inclusive marriages
Many couples walked the fashion ramp in Chennai to promote inclusive marriages as part of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Like Shalini, a fashion designer, who is married to disabled entrepreneur Visakan Rajendiran. Dressed in her best, she moved his wheelchair as both waved at the audience.
Rajendiran said that the disabled men are eligible bachelors like anybody else and deserved good-looking partners and should not compromise on this due to their disability.
Another participant, Poongothai said it was his disabled partner who proposed to him.
The event was organised by the Headway Foundation as part of its first year anniversary. Achievers included Justin Vijay Jesudas, national Paralympic swimming champion; Sathyamoorthy, international wheelchair tennis player; Meenakshi, a rights activist, and Shams Alaam, Mr India Wheelchair 2017 and paraplegic world record holder in open sea swimming.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019