Disabled achievers take to the ramp to promote inclusive marriages
December 8, 2017
Many couples walked the fashion ramp in Chennai to promote inclusive marriages as part of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Like Shalini, a fashion designer, who is married to disabled entrepreneur Visakan Rajendiran. Dressed in her best, she moved his wheelchair as both waved at the audience.
Rajendiran said that the disabled men are eligible bachelors like anybody else and deserved good-looking partners and should not compromise on this due to their disability.
Another participant, Poongothai said it was his disabled partner who proposed to him.
The event was organised by the Headway Foundation as part of its first year anniversary. Achievers included Justin Vijay Jesudas, national Paralympic swimming champion; Sathyamoorthy, international wheelchair tennis player; Meenakshi, a rights activist, and Shams Alaam, Mr India Wheelchair 2017 and paraplegic world record holder in open sea swimming.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News