Disabled achievers take to the ramp to promote inclusive marriages
December 8, 2017
Many couples walked the fashion ramp in Chennai to promote inclusive marriages as part of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Like Shalini, a fashion designer, who is married to disabled entrepreneur Visakan Rajendiran. Dressed in her best, she moved his wheelchair as both waved at the audience.
Rajendiran said that the disabled men are eligible bachelors like anybody else and deserved good-looking partners and should not compromise on this due to their disability.
Another participant, Poongothai said it was his disabled partner who proposed to him.
The event was organised by the Headway Foundation as part of its first year anniversary. Achievers included Justin Vijay Jesudas, national Paralympic swimming champion; Sathyamoorthy, international wheelchair tennis player; Meenakshi, a rights activist, and Shams Alaam, Mr India Wheelchair 2017 and paraplegic world record holder in open sea swimming.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News