Want to become a special educator? Here are some useful tips
December 9, 2017
In the last few years special needs education has come under greater focus in India with the government's Accessible India campaign. The Census 2001 data that over 21 million people in India are living with some kind of disability has also brought home the urgent need to focus on this population.
Read NewzHook Special on Top Inclusive Schools of India
India needs about 15 lakh special educators to address their needs, and there are many schools that are working with special children to make them self-reliant for an inclusive society. These children need a special educator to cope with the regular school curriculum.
What does a special educator do?
A special educator looks closely at the strengths and limitations of a special child and then designs a curriculum that is based on the child's disability. The children are taught sign language, motor skills, etc using play methods and audio visual materials.
What goes into making a good special educator
*Formal education:You need a degree, diploma or a certificate in special education. There are many universities that provide formal education in special education with specialisations in various disabilities. The degree has to be recognised by the Rehabilitation Council of India.
*Commitment & patience: The right degree needs to be supported with the right attitude. Handling special children is not always easy and needs 100% effort. The results may not always be 100%. So getting easily frustrated or impatient will not help. You have to be loving and patient while handling their problems or behavioural disorders.
Good coping abilities:A special educator is a therapist, friend, and teacher, and a counsellor to students and parents. This makes ir a demanding profession. Managing stress levels is something you need to be good at.
*Strong value system: Money or fame in this line cannot be the main aim. It can sometimes be without any of this, especially in India. But there is a lot of satisfaction in helping such children and making them independent.
*Right knowledge:A special educator must have knowledge about assistive devices and technology to help children and parents in their training.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 12, 2019 68 lives lost in Kerala floods
- Lifestyle August 14, 2019 Round necked kurtas for women for that elegant, festive look
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 “People with disabilities working in health care inform better care & access” – Dr Lisa Meeks
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 A personal struggle inspired this elderly couple to start Balajothi Centre to empower disabled children
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
- Events August 14, 2019 Drama for Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News