Want to become a special educator? Here are some useful tips
In the last few years special needs education has come under greater focus in India with the government's Accessible India campaign. The Census 2001 data that over 21 million people in India are living with some kind of disability has also brought home the urgent need to focus on this population.
Read NewzHook Special on Top Inclusive Schools of India
India needs about 15 lakh special educators to address their needs, and there are many schools that are working with special children to make them self-reliant for an inclusive society. These children need a special educator to cope with the regular school curriculum.
What does a special educator do?
A special educator looks closely at the strengths and limitations of a special child and then designs a curriculum that is based on the child's disability. The children are taught sign language, motor skills, etc using play methods and audio visual materials.
What goes into making a good special educator
*Formal education:You need a degree, diploma or a certificate in special education. There are many universities that provide formal education in special education with specialisations in various disabilities. The degree has to be recognised by the Rehabilitation Council of India.
*Commitment & patience: The right degree needs to be supported with the right attitude. Handling special children is not always easy and needs 100% effort. The results may not always be 100%. So getting easily frustrated or impatient will not help. You have to be loving and patient while handling their problems or behavioural disorders.
Good coping abilities:A special educator is a therapist, friend, and teacher, and a counsellor to students and parents. This makes ir a demanding profession. Managing stress levels is something you need to be good at.
*Strong value system: Money or fame in this line cannot be the main aim. It can sometimes be without any of this, especially in India. But there is a lot of satisfaction in helping such children and making them independent.
*Right knowledge:A special educator must have knowledge about assistive devices and technology to help children and parents in their training.
Watch in Sign Language
- Gujarat government launches important initiative towards early screening of learning disabilities
February 7, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College's certificate course in disability studies finds widespread support
February 5, 2019
- No clarity on final guidelines for medical entrance test, disabled aspirants still in the dark
January 30, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Events February 9, 2019 The Learning Factory, a Musical Puppet Play
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Kerala government starts initiatives for inclusive elections
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Some recreational activities for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News