Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel hurt at being dropped from blind world cup team
Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel played a key role in India's victories in the last three Blind World Cups but has not been chosen for the forthcoming ODI World Cup to be held in Pakistan and Dubai from 7 January, 2018
Patel's omission was discipline-related, says selector
Patel was a key member of the Indian team when the side won the T20 World Cup in Bengaluru in 2016. He says his 2/29 against Pakistan helped India win the final by nine wickets. Patel is a B-1 category (fully blind) all-rounder from Gujarat, who won man-of-the series awards in the 2015 ODI series in England and in at the 2014 World Cup in South Africa.
Patel's omission, say selectors, was related to a discipline-related issue as he left immediately after the selection trials were over. But Patel says his father was unwell and he had informed the team captain.
No blind player from Maharashtra in the list of world cup players
Apart from Patel, Anish Baig from Mumbai was also dropped. Both have alleged this is because they refused to pay their establishment 30% of prize money earned at international events.
Though five players from Maharashtra attended the selection trials in Pune, none of them made the 17-member World Cup Indian team. The selection committee said the Maharashtra players did not have the performance needed to back their selection.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019