Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel hurt at being dropped from blind world cup team
December 8, 2017
Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel played a key role in India's victories in the last three Blind World Cups but has not been chosen for the forthcoming ODI World Cup to be held in Pakistan and Dubai from 7 January, 2018
Patel's omission was discipline-related, says selector
Patel was a key member of the Indian team when the side won the T20 World Cup in Bengaluru in 2016. He says his 2/29 against Pakistan helped India win the final by nine wickets. Patel is a B-1 category (fully blind) all-rounder from Gujarat, who won man-of-the series awards in the 2015 ODI series in England and in at the 2014 World Cup in South Africa.
Patel's omission, say selectors, was related to a discipline-related issue as he left immediately after the selection trials were over. But Patel says his father was unwell and he had informed the team captain.
No blind player from Maharashtra in the list of world cup players
Apart from Patel, Anish Baig from Mumbai was also dropped. Both have alleged this is because they refused to pay their establishment 30% of prize money earned at international events.
Though five players from Maharashtra attended the selection trials in Pune, none of them made the 17-member World Cup Indian team. The selection committee said the Maharashtra players did not have the performance needed to back their selection.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News