Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel hurt at being dropped from blind world cup team
Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel played a key role in India's victories in the last three Blind World Cups but has not been chosen for the forthcoming ODI World Cup to be held in Pakistan and Dubai from 7 January, 2018
Patel's omission was discipline-related, says selector
Patel was a key member of the Indian team when the side won the T20 World Cup in Bengaluru in 2016. He says his 2/29 against Pakistan helped India win the final by nine wickets. Patel is a B-1 category (fully blind) all-rounder from Gujarat, who won man-of-the series awards in the 2015 ODI series in England and in at the 2014 World Cup in South Africa.
Patel's omission, say selectors, was related to a discipline-related issue as he left immediately after the selection trials were over. But Patel says his father was unwell and he had informed the team captain.
No blind player from Maharashtra in the list of world cup players
Apart from Patel, Anish Baig from Mumbai was also dropped. Both have alleged this is because they refused to pay their establishment 30% of prize money earned at international events.
Though five players from Maharashtra attended the selection trials in Pune, none of them made the 17-member World Cup Indian team. The selection committee said the Maharashtra players did not have the performance needed to back their selection.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News