Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel hurt at being dropped from blind world cup team
December 8, 2017
Gujarat all rounder Ketan Patel played a key role in India's victories in the last three Blind World Cups but has not been chosen for the forthcoming ODI World Cup to be held in Pakistan and Dubai from 7 January, 2018
Patel's omission was discipline-related, says selector
Patel was a key member of the Indian team when the side won the T20 World Cup in Bengaluru in 2016. He says his 2/29 against Pakistan helped India win the final by nine wickets. Patel is a B-1 category (fully blind) all-rounder from Gujarat, who won man-of-the series awards in the 2015 ODI series in England and in at the 2014 World Cup in South Africa.
Patel's omission, say selectors, was related to a discipline-related issue as he left immediately after the selection trials were over. But Patel says his father was unwell and he had informed the team captain.
No blind player from Maharashtra in the list of world cup players
Apart from Patel, Anish Baig from Mumbai was also dropped. Both have alleged this is because they refused to pay their establishment 30% of prize money earned at international events.
Though five players from Maharashtra attended the selection trials in Pune, none of them made the 17-member World Cup Indian team. The selection committee said the Maharashtra players did not have the performance needed to back their selection.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News