Tokyo airport now has sign language phones for deaf passengers!
December 14, 2017
Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan, has started the country's first public phones that allow communication through sign language.
The system was introduced on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, which was on 3 December.
Major accessibility revamp ahead of 2020 Tokyo Olympics across Japan
The new system allows deaf people to sign in front of a monitor so that a sign language interpreter can translate the message by voice to the person on the other side.
The sign language phones are used in more than 20 countries at public places to reduce communication barriers.Officials plan to set up such phones at four other major airports in Japan soon.
The idea is to allow the deaf passengers to use the new airport facilities, access information and make them a part of the society.
Watch in Sign Language
- PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
March 25, 2019
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Headlines March 24, 2019 BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News