She hid blind status for 11 years, now wants the world to see the potential in disability
When she was a child, Caroline Casey was diagnosed with ocular albinism, a genetic condition that severely affects the vision. She registered herself as blind 20 years ago, and is able to see things only when they are right up close to her face.
Today she is world famous as the businesswoman person behind the campaign #Valuable, which aims to increase the inclusion of the disabled in business.
#Valuable campaign aims to highlight potential in disabled
What makes her story so fascinating is that for 11 years, from the age of 17 until the year 2000, Casey hid her disability from all her employers, and even many friends. She finally decided to open up about it to the world and dedicate her life and work to building an equal society for people with disabilities.
She says her #Valuable campaign aims to make companies aware of the potential of people like her. She says that she spent much of her life discriminating against disability, in this case her own.
Now she is determined to make her mark as a disability campaigner, and bring the message of inclusivity to businesses around the world.
So far she has worked with 450 companies, over a 1000 company heads and spoken to people to see the value of the one billion people in the world with a disability and their families.
To draw attention to the issue, she has done fundraising events like ride an elephant across India alone, a horse trek in Colombia to a young leaders summit in Bogota.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Events December 17, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Events December 17, 2018 Dementia Caregivers' Support Group Meet
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018