She hid blind status for 11 years, now wants the world to see the potential in disability
December 12, 2017
When she was a child, Caroline Casey was diagnosed with ocular albinism, a genetic condition that severely affects the vision. She registered herself as blind 20 years ago, and is able to see things only when they are right up close to her face.
Today she is world famous as the businesswoman person behind the campaign #Valuable, which aims to increase the inclusion of the disabled in business.
#Valuable campaign aims to highlight potential in disabled
What makes her story so fascinating is that for 11 years, from the age of 17 until the year 2000, Casey hid her disability from all her employers, and even many friends. She finally decided to open up about it to the world and dedicate her life and work to building an equal society for people with disabilities.
She says her #Valuable campaign aims to make companies aware of the potential of people like her. She says that she spent much of her life discriminating against disability, in this case her own.
Now she is determined to make her mark as a disability campaigner, and bring the message of inclusivity to businesses around the world.
So far she has worked with 450 companies, over a 1000 company heads and spoken to people to see the value of the one billion people in the world with a disability and their families.
To draw attention to the issue, she has done fundraising events like ride an elephant across India alone, a horse trek in Colombia to a young leaders summit in Bogota.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News