She hid blind status for 11 years, now wants the world to see the potential in disability
When she was a child, Caroline Casey was diagnosed with ocular albinism, a genetic condition that severely affects the vision. She registered herself as blind 20 years ago, and is able to see things only when they are right up close to her face.
Today she is world famous as the businesswoman person behind the campaign #Valuable, which aims to increase the inclusion of the disabled in business.
#Valuable campaign aims to highlight potential in disabled
What makes her story so fascinating is that for 11 years, from the age of 17 until the year 2000, Casey hid her disability from all her employers, and even many friends. She finally decided to open up about it to the world and dedicate her life and work to building an equal society for people with disabilities.
She says her #Valuable campaign aims to make companies aware of the potential of people like her. She says that she spent much of her life discriminating against disability, in this case her own.
Now she is determined to make her mark as a disability campaigner, and bring the message of inclusivity to businesses around the world.
So far she has worked with 450 companies, over a 1000 company heads and spoken to people to see the value of the one billion people in the world with a disability and their families.
To draw attention to the issue, she has done fundraising events like ride an elephant across India alone, a horse trek in Colombia to a young leaders summit in Bogota.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Parasports October 17, 2018 India's para badminton players show their mettle in the Asian Para Games
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News