Tennis star Roge Federer gets 'sign of the year' award by Swiss Deaf Society
With wins in Melbourne, Wimbledon and Basel in 2017, Roger Federer is the sports star “in everybody’s hands”. So says the Swiss Deaf Association that has named the Swiss tennis player - ‘sign of the year’.
In sign language, Federer is represented by his bandana, which he wears during every match. The gesture involves tying a bandana behind one’s head.
Federer came back from injury to win the Australian Open and Wimbledon this year, taking his grand slam haul to a record 19 titles.
Deaf people use symbolic signs to refer to famous people to save themselves having to spell out names using the finger alphabet. The sign usually comes from a prominent visible feature. Last year the award went to Donald Trump, whose sign involved imitating his hairstyle with one’s hand.
Federer is happy with the honour and invited a few members of the Swiss Deaf Society to help him with his sign and some simple sentences.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018