This engineering student could be India's 1st disabled video model!
December 11, 2017
26-year-old Mahalakshmi Mahadev from Bengaluru breaks the norm in many ways.
She is India's first disabled TV model and has featured in a 44-second advertisement for a textile brand.
Mahalakshmi is a polio-survivor and this becomes clear only at the end of the ad when she is placed back in her wheelchair.
Mahalakshmi, who is an technology graduate, says she was nervous at first during the shot but is now happy to make the point that the disabled can do everything. And that it is important for advertisements to turn inclusive.
Her dream to become a model came to life thanks to Chennai-based designer Shalini Visakan, who specialises in adaptive clothing for the disabled. Visakan Rajendiran, the husband of the designer, was also keen to feature a disabled model for their clothing line. No one was coming forward to feature a differently-abled person as a model.
The idea of showing her in her wheelchair at the end was to motivate others, say the ad filmmakers. The team is encouraged by the positive response to the advertisement and is ready to make such ads for anyone with disabled models. So if you are interested, this is your chance!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News