Using technology to build an inclusive society at the Enable Makeathon
December 11, 2017
Engineers, innovators, students and people with disabilities came together as part of Enable Makeathon 2.0, to discuss the use of technology to build a more inclusive society.
This is an initiative of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and its partners, and this year's focus is on crowd-sourcing prototype products and solutions to address the challenges regarding accessibility and employability of people with different disabilities, ranging from vision, hearing and mobility.
Sixteen teams have made it to the co-creation camp, out of which four are from Bengaluru. The idea was to work towards assessing the needs of the disabled living in remote and difficult to access areas. Once these challenges are identified, they will be put to the teams to find answers to.
Nearly a 100 teams from around the world took part in 2017 and 16 from India have been shortlisted. These teams will go through an intensive six-week workshop, where they will be given help and solutions in every way - financial, technical, logistics and NGO support. The products will then undergo further refinement and testing and the final three winners will get an incubator grant.
The Enable Makeathon co-creation camps will take place in Bengaluru, hosted by the ICRC and in London, hosted by the Global Disability Innovation Hub and University College London.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News