Its's not just the sweets that make this Indore shop special, wait till you meet the staff!
Apna Sweets, a sweetshop in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, is well-known not just for its superior quality of sweets. The staff here is made up of people with disabilities, which makes the visit here even more special.
Like 21-year-old Gulnaz Shah, who was left paralysed in one hand and foot after she was given a wrong injection at the age of two years. The doctors gave up after a few surgeries, but not Gulnaz and her parents. Today she works at Apna Sweets, along with a staff packed with disabled workers.
Apna Sweets has won the National Award for Empowerment of PwD.
The shop owner, Prakash Rathore, is proud of their efficiency levels and says that all they need is some support. His initiative has been recognised by the Centre with the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Gulnaz, who funded her education by giving tuitions after her father's death, says that handling the food counter keeps her financially independent and her motivation levels high. Her co-worker Sachin Rai, who is blind, joined the shop four years ago and handles the token counter.
From manning the food counters to bill counters, and from cleaning the floor to serving food, nearly every staff member at Apna Sweets is disabled.
All the workers feel wanted at the store. The owner says that everyone should remove the stigma towards the disabled and employ them for India to progress.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Bhopal is hosting Deaf Festival 2019, know more
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Amazon Great Indian Sale is here
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News