Its's not just the sweets that make this Indore shop special, wait till you meet the staff!
December 10, 2017
Apna Sweets, a sweetshop in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, is well-known not just for its superior quality of sweets. The staff here is made up of people with disabilities, which makes the visit here even more special.
Like 21-year-old Gulnaz Shah, who was left paralysed in one hand and foot after she was given a wrong injection at the age of two years. The doctors gave up after a few surgeries, but not Gulnaz and her parents. Today she works at Apna Sweets, along with a staff packed with disabled workers.
Apna Sweets has won the National Award for Empowerment of PwD.
The shop owner, Prakash Rathore, is proud of their efficiency levels and says that all they need is some support. His initiative has been recognised by the Centre with the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Gulnaz, who funded her education by giving tuitions after her father's death, says that handling the food counter keeps her financially independent and her motivation levels high. Her co-worker Sachin Rai, who is blind, joined the shop four years ago and handles the token counter.
From manning the food counters to bill counters, and from cleaning the floor to serving food, nearly every staff member at Apna Sweets is disabled.
All the workers feel wanted at the store. The owner says that everyone should remove the stigma towards the disabled and employ them for India to progress.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News