Its's not just the sweets that make this Indore shop special, wait till you meet the staff!
December 10, 2017
Apna Sweets, a sweetshop in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, is well-known not just for its superior quality of sweets. The staff here is made up of people with disabilities, which makes the visit here even more special.
Like 21-year-old Gulnaz Shah, who was left paralysed in one hand and foot after she was given a wrong injection at the age of two years. The doctors gave up after a few surgeries, but not Gulnaz and her parents. Today she works at Apna Sweets, along with a staff packed with disabled workers.
Apna Sweets has won the National Award for Empowerment of PwD.
The shop owner, Prakash Rathore, is proud of their efficiency levels and says that all they need is some support. His initiative has been recognised by the Centre with the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Gulnaz, who funded her education by giving tuitions after her father's death, says that handling the food counter keeps her financially independent and her motivation levels high. Her co-worker Sachin Rai, who is blind, joined the shop four years ago and handles the token counter.
From manning the food counters to bill counters, and from cleaning the floor to serving food, nearly every staff member at Apna Sweets is disabled.
All the workers feel wanted at the store. The owner says that everyone should remove the stigma towards the disabled and employ them for India to progress.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News