Its's not just the sweets that make this Indore shop special, wait till you meet the staff!
December 10, 2017
Apna Sweets, a sweetshop in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, is well-known not just for its superior quality of sweets. The staff here is made up of people with disabilities, which makes the visit here even more special.
Like 21-year-old Gulnaz Shah, who was left paralysed in one hand and foot after she was given a wrong injection at the age of two years. The doctors gave up after a few surgeries, but not Gulnaz and her parents. Today she works at Apna Sweets, along with a staff packed with disabled workers.
Apna Sweets has won the National Award for Empowerment of PwD.
The shop owner, Prakash Rathore, is proud of their efficiency levels and says that all they need is some support. His initiative has been recognised by the Centre with the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Gulnaz, who funded her education by giving tuitions after her father's death, says that handling the food counter keeps her financially independent and her motivation levels high. Her co-worker Sachin Rai, who is blind, joined the shop four years ago and handles the token counter.
From manning the food counters to bill counters, and from cleaning the floor to serving food, nearly every staff member at Apna Sweets is disabled.
All the workers feel wanted at the store. The owner says that everyone should remove the stigma towards the disabled and employ them for India to progress.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News