Its's not just the sweets that make this Indore shop special, wait till you meet the staff!
Apna Sweets, a sweetshop in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, is well-known not just for its superior quality of sweets. The staff here is made up of people with disabilities, which makes the visit here even more special.
Like 21-year-old Gulnaz Shah, who was left paralysed in one hand and foot after she was given a wrong injection at the age of two years. The doctors gave up after a few surgeries, but not Gulnaz and her parents. Today she works at Apna Sweets, along with a staff packed with disabled workers.
Apna Sweets has won the National Award for Empowerment of PwD.
The shop owner, Prakash Rathore, is proud of their efficiency levels and says that all they need is some support. His initiative has been recognised by the Centre with the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Gulnaz, who funded her education by giving tuitions after her father's death, says that handling the food counter keeps her financially independent and her motivation levels high. Her co-worker Sachin Rai, who is blind, joined the shop four years ago and handles the token counter.
From manning the food counters to bill counters, and from cleaning the floor to serving food, nearly every staff member at Apna Sweets is disabled.
All the workers feel wanted at the store. The owner says that everyone should remove the stigma towards the disabled and employ them for India to progress.
Watch in Sign Language
- Career choices for people with autism
November 11, 2018
- Career options for people with learning disabilities
November 9, 2018
- Some tips to manage the workplace for adults with ADHD
October 30, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer leave for Italy for wedding next week
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Headlines November 16, 2018 South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News