International project to present comparative list of astronomical words in sign languages
December 9, 2017
The IAU Commission for Astronomy, Equity and Inclusion recently started an international long-term project to collect different signs of the most common words in astronomy education in German, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Polish and others.
As many astronomical words have no same hand sign in any sign language, the commission has created a list of suggested signs with the help of deaf communities, educators, and astronomers all over the world.
The idea is to involve deaf people to use these suggested signs during scientific discussions.
The Commission also plans to study and suggest a common and unique sign for each word for every country.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News