Government supported schools in Maharashtra must have teachers for disabled students, rules court
December 15, 2017
The Bombay High Court has directed the Maharashtra government to make sure that schools which are supported by state funds must have special teachers and attendants to help disabled students and staff members.
It also said that the state government is "obligated to provide meaningful opportunities" of education and employment to the disabled.
It told the state to ensure that all special teachers and attendants approved by the government for the assistance of the disabled were given jobs.
The order came after an attendant filed a petition in court after his school was closed down. He was appointed as a permanent employee by the government in 2009 at a special school in Solapur district. The school was closed down without giving any notice to the petitioner and other employees of the institute.
The government also refused to grant another job to the petitioner even though the rules state that any extra teachers and attendants for special schools must be absorbed in other schools or units if the place of their work closes down for a valid reason.
The petitioner said that the state was obligated to provide him an alternate job, and that it could not close down special schools without any reason since it received budgetary funds from the Centre for such institutes.
Watch in Sign Language
- #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
June 20, 2019
- Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
June 19, 2019
- Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News