Assam students develop device that makes daily activities easier for deaf people
December 13, 2017
A team of young scientists from the Assam Jatiya Bidyalay have developed a device to help the deaf carry out their daily activities.
The device vibrates when it gets a sound and alerts the user. There are four parts - condenser microphone, a magnifier and frequency selector circuit, and a vibrator.
Once the condenser microphone receives a sound it converts the sound energy into electrical energy which goes to the magnifier and frequency selector circuit. The sound energy converts into electrical energy and the circuit increases the quantity of the energy. This energy goes to the vibrator through the circuit and vibrates, alerting the user.
All the scientists are Class 8 students. They say the device will be useful for deaf people while walking, driving and riding on the road. The team has named the gadget as Horn for the Deaf: A Sensitive Gadget.'
The cost of making it is just Rs 100, which makes it affordable for most deaf people. The team started experimenting on the device from June 2017.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News