Over 100 disabled soldiers trained in business skills at the Divyang Skill Development Centre
December 13, 2017
The Divyang Skill Development Centre was started by the government last year to train soldiers physically disabled on duty in skills like gardening and mobile repairing to help develop their business skills.
The centre is supported by the Border Security Force and was started to teach skills to injured paramilitary troopers hurt badly to the extent that they were left physically disabled. So far 113 physically disabled troopers have been trained.
These include 92 troopers of BSF, 13 from the Indo-Border Tibetan police, three from Central Industrial Security Force and five from Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). They suffer from amputation, trauma and vision problems.
The centre first started off by teaching skills for office jobs like data entry as well as the roles of radio and exchange operators. This was expanded in case soldiers would prefer to opt for voluntary retirement.
Three batches of paramilitary troopers have graduated from the centre after the eight-week training so far. The course has now been extended to 16 months.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News