Over 100 disabled soldiers trained in business skills at the Divyang Skill Development Centre
The Divyang Skill Development Centre was started by the government last year to train soldiers physically disabled on duty in skills like gardening and mobile repairing to help develop their business skills.
The centre is supported by the Border Security Force and was started to teach skills to injured paramilitary troopers hurt badly to the extent that they were left physically disabled. So far 113 physically disabled troopers have been trained.
These include 92 troopers of BSF, 13 from the Indo-Border Tibetan police, three from Central Industrial Security Force and five from Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). They suffer from amputation, trauma and vision problems.
The centre first started off by teaching skills for office jobs like data entry as well as the roles of radio and exchange operators. This was expanded in case soldiers would prefer to opt for voluntary retirement.
Three batches of paramilitary troopers have graduated from the centre after the eight-week training so far. The course has now been extended to 16 months.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News