India, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka promote inclusion through Unified Cricket Tournament
The third South Asia Unified Cricket Tournament held this month between the Special Olympics teams from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and India highlighted the abilities of sportspersons with and without intellectual disabilities.
A total of four matches were played over two days. Bangladesh was declared winner after it beat India and Sri Lanka in two successive matches. The rules of the T20 game were such that each player got enough time on the field. They were paired with people with and without intellectual disabilities to play maximum of two overs.
One of the rules was that the batsmen could get out as many as six times in an over and the total team score was the average of total runs by total wickets.
The opening batsman for India was Pravat Bharal who dreams of taking part in the Special Olympics in World Games.
All athletes were also screened for health awareness campaigns.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News