Iconic film inspires bionic hand that enables amputees to move prosthetic fingers
December 15, 2017
Luke Skywalker and the Star Wars series may have been written out of ever but the legacy lives on. In this case, its Skywalker's bionic hand.
Bionic arm inspired by the classic film, Star Wars
Scientists in the United States have created an ultrasonic sensor that allows amputees to control each of their prosthetic fingers individually. The result? A Star Wars-like bionic hand with a sensor that provides fine motor hand gestures. This is currently not available in commercial devices.
New arm enables amputee musician to play again after 5 years
A musician Jason Barnes is the first amputee to use this technology. Barnes lost a portion of his right arm in an accident five years ago. He can now play the piano and drums for the first time since his accident.
The new technology enables the arm to detect which fingers an amputee wants to move, even if they don't have fingers. In the case of Barnes, he does not have his hand and most of his forearm. But he has muscles in his residual limb that control his fingers.
New technology has potential to enable activities like bathing & feeding
Barnes was earlier using prosthesis attached to his muscles and controlled by electromyogram (EMG) sensors. But these are not very accurate and can detect a muscle movement, but the signal is too unclear to figure out which finger the person wants to move.
Experts say that if this new arm can work on something as subtle as music, it can be used for many other motor activities like bathing, grooming and feeding.
Watch in Sign Language
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News