Iconic film inspires bionic hand that enables amputees to move prosthetic fingers
December 15, 2017
Luke Skywalker and the Star Wars series may have been written out of ever but the legacy lives on. In this case, its Skywalker's bionic hand.
Bionic arm inspired by the classic film, Star Wars
Scientists in the United States have created an ultrasonic sensor that allows amputees to control each of their prosthetic fingers individually. The result? A Star Wars-like bionic hand with a sensor that provides fine motor hand gestures. This is currently not available in commercial devices.
New arm enables amputee musician to play again after 5 years
A musician Jason Barnes is the first amputee to use this technology. Barnes lost a portion of his right arm in an accident five years ago. He can now play the piano and drums for the first time since his accident.
The new technology enables the arm to detect which fingers an amputee wants to move, even if they don't have fingers. In the case of Barnes, he does not have his hand and most of his forearm. But he has muscles in his residual limb that control his fingers.
New technology has potential to enable activities like bathing & feeding
Barnes was earlier using prosthesis attached to his muscles and controlled by electromyogram (EMG) sensors. But these are not very accurate and can detect a muscle movement, but the signal is too unclear to figure out which finger the person wants to move.
Experts say that if this new arm can work on something as subtle as music, it can be used for many other motor activities like bathing, grooming and feeding.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News