Iconic film inspires bionic hand that enables amputees to move prosthetic fingers
Luke Skywalker and the Star Wars series may have been written out of ever but the legacy lives on. In this case, its Skywalker's bionic hand.
Bionic arm inspired by the classic film, Star Wars
Scientists in the United States have created an ultrasonic sensor that allows amputees to control each of their prosthetic fingers individually. The result? A Star Wars-like bionic hand with a sensor that provides fine motor hand gestures. This is currently not available in commercial devices.
New arm enables amputee musician to play again after 5 years
A musician Jason Barnes is the first amputee to use this technology. Barnes lost a portion of his right arm in an accident five years ago. He can now play the piano and drums for the first time since his accident.
The new technology enables the arm to detect which fingers an amputee wants to move, even if they don’t have fingers. In the case of Barnes, he does not have his hand and most of his forearm. But he has muscles in his residual limb that control his fingers.
New technology has potential to enable activities like bathing & feeding
Barnes was earlier using prosthesis attached to his muscles and controlled by electromyogram (EMG) sensors. But these are not very accurate and can detect a muscle movement, but the signal is too unclear to figure out which finger the person wants to move.
Experts say that if this new arm can work on something as subtle as music, it can be used for many other motor activities like bathing, grooming and feeding.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Disability Heroes - Prajith Jaipal is out to create a new India, accessible & barrier-free
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Accessibility December 5, 2018 PVR's Accessible Cinema Program shows the way forward in inclusion
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked December 8, 2018