Supreme Court will soon pass an order on making higher educational institutions accessible
On Tuesday, the Supreme Court said that it would pass an order on a plea seeking to make higher education institutions physically accessible for disabled students.
Much awaited order by SC on accessibility in higher educational institutions
The bench said that it would pass certain directions on the issue and give some time for them to be followed through.
The court was hearing a plea filed by an organisation called Disabled Rights Group in 2006, pushing the case of a disabled girl who is 100% wheelchair bound.
The girl wanted to study law but could not do so at the National Law University. She managed to gain admission in a private university.
Provisions of laws relating to disabled students not followed
The private university does not have facilities for disabled students despite a law which makes this compulsory. She had to stay in a hostel in a shared room with two other students, the bathroom did not have a ramp and there was no escort facility in the hostel .
By law, certain guidelines have to be followed but these are not followed by higher educational institutions.
The bench said there is no tracking or monitoring whether these institutes are providing 3% reservation to the disabled students. Nor is there a reporting mechanism for the institutes.
The bench said it would pass an order relating to - provision of reservation in higher educational institutions for disabled, all educational institutions being made physically accessible for disabled and the scope of several provisions of the RPWD Act.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Prime Minister Modi attends Priyanka-Nick’s reception party
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked December 8, 2018