Top 5 stories about the Blind in 2017
Colour blind can study medicine
One of the most widely reported stories of the year and one with a happy ending was the Supreme Court order that the colour blind can study medicine, thereby lifting a discriminatory law.
India's blind cricket team
2017 started off on a high note with the blind cricket team lifting the T20 World Cup for the second time in a row, beating Pakistan by four wickets. From attracting sponsorships to plans for a Bollywood film, the blind cricket scene in India has never looked better.
Petitions against new currency
The new rupee notes introduced post demonetisation has hit the blind community hard. Petitions were filed in Kerala and Delhi in various court questioning why there were no Braille markings on the notes. The Supreme Court has sought answers from the government on why disability experts were not consulted before this move.
Blind singer rocked
Six-year-old Ayat Shaikh’s singing audition for reality show The Voice India Kids received over 20 million views on YouTube.
Durga Puja in Braille
And finally the best for the last. The Durga Puja celebrations in Kolkata were truly special this year with the blind are getting to experience the magic and thrill of the pandals through Braille technology.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018