Top 5 stories about the Blind in 2017
Colour blind can study medicine
One of the most widely reported stories of the year and one with a happy ending was the Supreme Court order that the colour blind can study medicine, thereby lifting a discriminatory law.
India's blind cricket team
2017 started off on a high note with the blind cricket team lifting the T20 World Cup for the second time in a row, beating Pakistan by four wickets. From attracting sponsorships to plans for a Bollywood film, the blind cricket scene in India has never looked better.
Petitions against new currency
The new rupee notes introduced post demonetisation has hit the blind community hard. Petitions were filed in Kerala and Delhi in various court questioning why there were no Braille markings on the notes. The Supreme Court has sought answers from the government on why disability experts were not consulted before this move.
Blind singer rocked
Six-year-old Ayat Shaikh’s singing audition for reality show The Voice India Kids received over 20 million views on YouTube.
Durga Puja in Braille
And finally the best for the last. The Durga Puja celebrations in Kolkata were truly special this year with the blind are getting to experience the magic and thrill of the pandals through Braille technology.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News