Top 5 stories about the Blind in 2017
December 30, 2017
Colour blind can study medicine
One of the most widely reported stories of the year and one with a happy ending was the Supreme Court order that the colour blind can study medicine, thereby lifting a discriminatory law.
India's blind cricket team
2017 started off on a high note with the blind cricket team lifting the T20 World Cup for the second time in a row, beating Pakistan by four wickets. From attracting sponsorships to plans for a Bollywood film, the blind cricket scene in India has never looked better.
Petitions against new currency
The new rupee notes introduced post demonetisation has hit the blind community hard. Petitions were filed in Kerala and Delhi in various court questioning why there were no Braille markings on the notes. The Supreme Court has sought answers from the government on why disability experts were not consulted before this move.
Blind singer rocked
Six-year-old Ayat Shaikh's singing audition for reality show The Voice India Kids received over 20 million views on YouTube.
Durga Puja in Braille
And finally the best for the last. The Durga Puja celebrations in Kolkata were truly special this year with the blind are getting to experience the magic and thrill of the pandals through Braille technology.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News