Christmas time challenges for the deaf
Christmas time is here and celebrations are being prepared for across the world.
For people with hearing impairments, the season brings some more challenges.
Here are some things to consider to make deaf family or friends feel more welcome.
- Make the sitting arrangement circular, so that everyone can be seen easily.
- Deaf guest may rely on lip reading so the lighting in the room should be proper.
- While talking to someone with hearing impairments, look at them directly and speak clearly and slowly.
- Try and select a TV show that also has captions or subtitles, so that everyone can enjoy.
- Be patient and welcoming if the deaf guest does not understand the communication. Repeat slowly and explain in a different way.
Christmas is a time to be spent together with loved ones, without barriers and differences.