Supreme Court tells government to make public places accessible
December 16, 2017
The Supreme Court has asked the centre and state governments to make public places accessible for people with disabilities particularly the blind citizens.
The court has issued a set of guidelines and orders that need to be followed in the social set up of the country to promote inclusion.
60-70 million disabled people in India
The court observed that there are around 60-70 million disabled people in India and government buildings and educational institutions should be accessible for them.
The number of visually impaired people is almost half of the disabled community in the country.
The court said that disability should not be treated as abnormality in the society.
People with disabilities have the right to equal opportunities in education and employment just like other people.
Inclusion is must for equality
Inclusion is a must and should be created at all levels and aspects of social and economic structure of the country.
Accessible buildings and public places is the first step towards creating an inclusive environment.
Buildings should be made compatible with the needs of people with disabilities.
Facilities like accessible class rooms, library, bathrooms, ramps, lifts can be added to buildings for the use of people with physical disabilities.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News