Supreme Court tells government to make public places accessible
The Supreme Court has asked the centre and state governments to make public places accessible for people with disabilities particularly the blind citizens.
The court has issued a set of guidelines and orders that need to be followed in the social set up of the country to promote inclusion.
60-70 million disabled people in India
The court observed that there are around 60-70 million disabled people in India and government buildings and educational institutions should be accessible for them.
The number of visually impaired people is almost half of the disabled community in the country.
The court said that disability should not be treated as abnormality in the society.
People with disabilities have the right to equal opportunities in education and employment just like other people.
Inclusion is must for equality
Inclusion is a must and should be created at all levels and aspects of social and economic structure of the country.
Accessible buildings and public places is the first step towards creating an inclusive environment.
Buildings should be made compatible with the needs of people with disabilities.
Facilities like accessible class rooms, library, bathrooms, ramps, lifts can be added to buildings for the use of people with physical disabilities.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Valentine’s Day plans - NewzHook readers share some ideas
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News