Supreme Court tells government to make public places accessible
The Supreme Court has asked the centre and state governments to make public places accessible for people with disabilities particularly the blind citizens.
The court has issued a set of guidelines and orders that need to be followed in the social set up of the country to promote inclusion.
60-70 million disabled people in India
The court observed that there are around 60-70 million disabled people in India and government buildings and educational institutions should be accessible for them.
The number of visually impaired people is almost half of the disabled community in the country.
The court said that disability should not be treated as abnormality in the society.
People with disabilities have the right to equal opportunities in education and employment just like other people.
Inclusion is must for equality
Inclusion is a must and should be created at all levels and aspects of social and economic structure of the country.
Accessible buildings and public places is the first step towards creating an inclusive environment.
Buildings should be made compatible with the needs of people with disabilities.
Facilities like accessible class rooms, library, bathrooms, ramps, lifts can be added to buildings for the use of people with physical disabilities.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018