A bionic ear that could help the deaf communicate even better
December 18, 2017
This is news that has the potential to change the lives of thousands of people.
Researchers in Australia are developing a way to adapt the cochlear implant in the ear to stimulate the auditory nerve using light instead of electrical impulses.
This is great news as hearing aids and implants are limited because users are not able to pick out complex sounds or hear clearly among background noise.
The new technology can help target sounds specifically in different frequency regions along the auditory nerve. Experts hope that this could solve the current limitations with cochlear implants.
Cochlear implants were developed 40 years ago and have two parts, a speech processor and a surgically implanted receiver and a set of electrodes. The microphone picks up sound waves which it sends to the processor where the converted sounds are transmitted to the brain. The results vary sharply depending on the health of the inner ear and the individual brain.
The new research enables the nerve to respond to light instead of electrical signals using gene therapy.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
May 23, 2019
- Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
May 15, 2019
- Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
May 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Headlines May 27, 2019 PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News