A bionic ear that could help the deaf communicate even better
This is news that has the potential to change the lives of thousands of people.
Researchers in Australia are developing a way to adapt the cochlear implant in the ear to stimulate the auditory nerve using light instead of electrical impulses.
This is great news as hearing aids and implants are limited because users are not able to pick out complex sounds or hear clearly among background noise.
The new technology can help target sounds specifically in different frequency regions along the auditory nerve. Experts hope that this could solve the current limitations with cochlear implants.
Cochlear implants were developed 40 years ago and have two parts, a speech processor and a surgically implanted receiver and a set of electrodes. The microphone picks up sound waves which it sends to the processor where the converted sounds are transmitted to the brain. The results vary sharply depending on the health of the inner ear and the individual brain.
The new research enables the nerve to respond to light instead of electrical signals using gene therapy.
Watch in Sign Language
- Artificial intelligence-based wheelchair that can be controlled with expressions? Read more
January 12, 2019
- Facing Emotions app by Huawei aims to help blind people understand facial expressions
January 7, 2019
- VOIS wearable tech for deaf people promises to end communication barriers
January 4, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 13, 2019 Hardik Pandya, K L Rahul told to return to India
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Disabled people in Goa accuse authorities of demanding full body pictures for disability certificates
- Headlines January 10, 2019 Cricketer Hardik Pandya says sorry for remarks about women
- Get-hooked January 11, 2019 Former blind cricket captain Shekhar Naik's special gesture for homeless people
- Parasports January 14, 2019 First ever wheelchair marathon held in Goa
- Headlines January 12, 2019 Virat Kohli reacts to Hardik Pandya's sexist comments
- Accessibility January 13, 2019 Delhi government workshop for schools on inclusive education practices gets good response
- Accessibility January 14, 2019 Toybank - Development through Play is enabling disabled kids to discover the power of play
- Headlines January 13, 2019 Banker-politician Meera Sanyal laid to rest
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 "I asked for my khukri & cut off my leg"- My Take by Ian Cardozo, 1st war disabled Indian soldier to lead a battalion
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News