Deaf bank employees cite lack of education, poor training as major barriers
A first of its kind nationwide study among deaf and speech-impaired bank employees has underlined some of the problems they run into in their careers. The biggest is the lack of quality education facility. This means better schooling facilities and college education that will enable them to live independently.
First nationwide study done among deaf, speech impaired bank workers
The study, done experts from the National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, suggests that separate training programmes for the deaf should be designed and these should be conducted by teachers using sign language.
The findings of the study have been submitted to the National Institute for Speech and Hearing so it can hopefully lead to an improvement in the opportunities for the deaf and speech-impaired.
The study involved answering a questionnaire of 16 questions and these were answered by 56 bank employees of 16 organisations across India. Most of them were from Maharashtra and Karnataka, while the rest were from Punjab, Gujarat, Orissa, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Chennai, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. Two of them were managers, 14 deputy managers, 24 clerks, 3 peons and 13 were single window operators.
Study highlights isolation & apathy faced in the workplacefeeling isolated at work. They also said they do not get as many opportunities to grow as the others. There are also no deaf instructors available to train them and no dedicated training programs for them in banks. They are not even included in most of the training programmes which affects their career growth. They are also forced to put in longer hours as compared to others.
Read this NewzHook story on TEACH, a initiative in Mumbai that is enabling deaf students to pursue higher education
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events October 21, 2018 Diwali Mela 2018
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 What matters is how we run the race - Guest Column by Vineet Saraiwala, visually impaired marathoner
- Parasports October 22, 2018 India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Accessibility October 23, 2018 'Meet' the man who is bringing Hindi & Urdu poetry alive for visually impaired people
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News