Parenting a hearing impaired child
Communication can be challenging for the parents of a hearing impaired child. Here are few ideas to form a strong bond with the child and help him grow.
- Show love to the child as much as you can. Parents are supposed to love their children no matter what.
- Talk to them with a soft face expression and tone of voice. This will help them feel calm around you.
- Be consistent in your behavior as a parent as that makes a huge impact on the child’s mind. This will also help the child to trust the parents more.
- Be clear while communicating with a hearing impaired child. Your actions and words should indicate the same thing for better understanding of the child.
- Identify the problem behavior of the child. Try and understand the limitations of the child and what makes them behave in a problematic manner.
- Give your approval when the child is doing something right. A nod or smile can give that extra confidence to help make better decisions in the future.
- Keep calm yourself and do not over react in situations that go wrong. The child is learning from example that you set.
- Be patient with the child and yourself as well. Take a break and remember everything takes time.