Smithsonian Design Museum in New York shows you the style in accessibility
When it comes to people with disabilities, designers tend to come up with products that are very heavy or boring.
The Smithsonian Design Museum in New York is showing you another way to look at these products. A new exhibition called Access+Ability showcases more than 70 inventions that change the perception regarding ageing and disability.
Putting a shine on disability
The designs showcased include a reworked symbol for disability access, a racing wheelchair, undergarments that give people with joint ailments a muscular boost through built-in power packs, and stylish prosthetic leg covers. The designers have made the future look modern, sleek and smart through these designs.
Walking cane from India among the exhibits
It’s not just the digital innovations that stand out. There is also a colourful collection of walking canes designed by the late architect Michael Graves with rubber handles and a foot mechanism that helps the user retrieve a dropped cane without bending down. Then there are canes with rubber insets that so users can rest it against a wall. There is also a SmartCane from India with a superior sensor that alerts the blind about overhead obstacles ahead of them. It costs just $70 and can be folded to fit a handy case.
The museum is also currently reviewing things like the wayfinding and signage system and updating its website to be accessible to anyone with with visual impairments or ageing eyes.
The exhibit, which runs through until September 2018, is a must-see for all designers and decision makers in charge of creating products and policies.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility December 4, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018