Smithsonian Design Museum in New York shows you the style in accessibility
December 24, 2017
When it comes to people with disabilities, designers tend to come up with products that are very heavy or boring.
The Smithsonian Design Museum in New York is showing you another way to look at these products. A new exhibition called Access+Ability showcases more than 70 inventions that change the perception regarding ageing and disability.
Putting a shine on disability
The designs showcased include a reworked symbol for disability access, a racing wheelchair, undergarments that give people with joint ailments a muscular boost through built-in power packs, and stylish prosthetic leg covers. The designers have made the future look modern, sleek and smart through these designs.
Walking cane from India among the exhibits
It's not just the digital innovations that stand out. There is also a colourful collection of walking canes designed by the late architect Michael Graves with rubber handles and a foot mechanism that helps the user retrieve a dropped cane without bending down. Then there are canes with rubber insets that so users can rest it against a wall. There is also a SmartCane from India with a superior sensor that alerts the blind about overhead obstacles ahead of them. It costs just $70 and can be folded to fit a handy case.
The museum is also currently reviewing things like the wayfinding and signage system and updating its website to be accessible to anyone with with visual impairments or ageing eyes.
The exhibit, which runs through until September 2018, is a must-see for all designers and decision makers in charge of creating products and policies.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News