A belt that looks good & alerts deaf people in emergencies
A group of mechanical engineering students from Sri Lanka have won the first prize in a prestigious competition for designing a lightweight wearable waist belt.
Called i-belt it has two main functionalities to help the deaf. It has a built in system with a range of mini microphones and mini vibrators. It has an inbuilt voice recognition system, that can react to five selected word inputs and quickly alert the user through a special pattern of vibration by picking up the accurate direction of the source sound.
This converts to a vibration in the belt that corresponds to the direction of the selected sound. The sounds selected may be the name of the user or special words like help, run etc.
The belt can also alert the user for high noises in emergency situations for quick reaction like siren noise, vehicle horn, gun shooting, dog barking etc. So for instance if a deaf person is at risk from a vehicle behind him and the vehicle is blowing its horn, the i-belt will vibrate and cause the user to look behind.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News