An app developed by a nun that teaches the deaf to pray
Pat Pomroy, a nun in the United States, wanted to pray with her young grandchildren but had no idea how to as they were both deaf.
Deaf children learn to pray
She did not know American Sign Language (ASL) well enough to teach them until she found a teacher, Sister Kathleen Schipani, who showed her signs for Jesus Christ, the word 'peace' and 'alleluia'.
The sign for Jesus Christ is a finger alternately tapping the palm of the opposite hand, in reference to the crucifixion, a clap followed by hands and fingers spinning in the air is 'alleluia', while palms together with a twisting motion means 'peace.'
App teaches families with deaf children how to pray & talk about faith in ASL
Schipani, who is the director of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s Deaf Apostolate, has now enlisted Sister Pomroy's grandchildren, Robert and Rachael, as stars of an app that she has created to teach families with deaf children how to pray, worship and talk about faith in ASL.
Called Religious Signs for Families, it is one of the first apps to focus solely on religious terminology, giving visual interpretations to concepts such as prayer, blessing, and praise.
In the app, seven adults and 13 children sign words including angel and blessing, and simple prayers such as 'God bless mommy,' 'Holy Spirit, guide me,' and 'Angel of God, watch over me as I sleep.'
The signs are captioned and voiced in English and Spanish.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018