An app developed by a nun that teaches the deaf to pray
Pat Pomroy, a nun in the United States, wanted to pray with her young grandchildren but had no idea how to as they were both deaf.
Deaf children learn to pray
She did not know American Sign Language (ASL) well enough to teach them until she found a teacher, Sister Kathleen Schipani, who showed her signs for Jesus Christ, the word 'peace' and 'alleluia'.
The sign for Jesus Christ is a finger alternately tapping the palm of the opposite hand, in reference to the crucifixion, a clap followed by hands and fingers spinning in the air is 'alleluia', while palms together with a twisting motion means 'peace.'
App teaches families with deaf children how to pray & talk about faith in ASL
Schipani, who is the director of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s Deaf Apostolate, has now enlisted Sister Pomroy's grandchildren, Robert and Rachael, as stars of an app that she has created to teach families with deaf children how to pray, worship and talk about faith in ASL.
Called Religious Signs for Families, it is one of the first apps to focus solely on religious terminology, giving visual interpretations to concepts such as prayer, blessing, and praise.
In the app, seven adults and 13 children sign words including angel and blessing, and simple prayers such as 'God bless mommy,' 'Holy Spirit, guide me,' and 'Angel of God, watch over me as I sleep.'
The signs are captioned and voiced in English and Spanish.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019