An app developed by a nun that teaches the deaf to pray
December 1, 2017
Pat Pomroy, a nun in the United States, wanted to pray with her young grandchildren but had no idea how to as they were both deaf.
Deaf children learn to pray
She did not know American Sign Language (ASL) well enough to teach them until she found a teacher, Sister Kathleen Schipani, who showed her signs for Jesus Christ, the word 'peace' and 'alleluia'.
The sign for Jesus Christ is a finger alternately tapping the palm of the opposite hand, in reference to the crucifixion, a clap followed by hands and fingers spinning in the air is 'alleluia', while palms together with a twisting motion means 'peace.'
App teaches families with deaf children how to pray & talk about faith in ASL
Schipani, who is the director of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia's Deaf Apostolate, has now enlisted Sister Pomroy's grandchildren, Robert and Rachael, as stars of an app that she has created to teach families with deaf children how to pray, worship and talk about faith in ASL.
Called Religious Signs for Families, it is one of the first apps to focus solely on religious terminology, giving visual interpretations to concepts such as prayer, blessing, and praise.
In the app, seven adults and 13 children sign words including angel and blessing, and simple prayers such as 'God bless mommy,' 'Holy Spirit, guide me,' and 'Angel of God, watch over me as I sleep.'
The signs are captioned and voiced in English and Spanish.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News