This IAS officer may have 10% vision but shows total dedication to his work
Aman Gupta, a 2013 batch IAS officer of the AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram-Union Territories) cadre, has juvenile macular degeneration, a medical condition that has no known cure. His vision is now so poor that he finds it difficult to distinguish people by their features and works with the help of a stand-mounted American video magnifier that helps the blind read.
Gupta used to ride a bike but when he was in Class 12, his eyes started failing. He couldn't see the cricket ball flying through the air nor could he see the text on the classroom blackboard. He found out that he had juvenile macular degeneration which, over the years, has left him with just about 10% of normal sight.
Failed first attempt at Civil Service exams, cleared in the second
He decided to face his challenge head on. He failed his first attempt at the UPSC in 2012 but prepared again and got a 57th all-India rank in the general category.
He holds three important positions, director (personnel), additional director (education) and secretary to the SDMC commissioner.
Reading with the assistance of a video magnifier takes much more time but that does not come in the way of his efficiency. He is one of the top officials in the education department, responsible for managing 600 schools and 2.5 lakh students.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News