Top Inclusive Schools of India - 2017
Through the month of November, NewzHook's special coverage focused on children who show us the ability in disability as well as schools that are enabling them to realise the best in themselves and grow up to be participating, independent members of society.
In our Inclusive Schools series, we looked at schools across the country, that are inclusive in every sense of the word. Some like APL Global School in Chennai were born out of a personal experience with the sense of isolation and marginalisation that parents of kids with special needs feel. St Mary's , one of New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools, became so in response to the needs of an individual parent.
Riverside in Ahmedabad reaches out to children, not only of special needs but also poorer backgrounds. Gamru Village School, in rural Himachal Pradesh goes one step further, funding even the medical needs of the disabled children of labourers.
The Heritage School in Kolkata also maintains a constant process of sensitisation among its teaching staff and students, while Vivekalaya in Coimbatore works to merge the worlds of disabled and mainstream kids in every way.
Maintaining such a policy is not easy, as it involves battling attitudes, shortage of funds and lack of adequately skilled staff. Many are doing so with little support from the government, like Nankana Sahib Public School in Ludhiana.
In continuing with this approach, schools like these are showing both plenty of heart and determination.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Mental Illness
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Get-hooked October 11, 2018 Prajith Jaipal is on a mission to create an India that is accessible to all
- Accessibility October 13, 2018 Feedback sought on issues faced by visually impaired people while using PayTM
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Kerala wheelchair user faces police harassment, organizations rally in support
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 This disabled girl from Kerala is fighting roadblocks to get a driver’s license
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Sarbojonin in name only, not in practice - Guest column by Arita Acharjee & Annesha Dasgupta
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
- Events October 11, 2018 The Inclusive Teacher- Persuasive Writing
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News