This initiative is helping the physically disabled set up their own businesses!
Alok Misra, from Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh, is the brain behind Saudaagar, which is enabling the disabled in small town and rural Uttar Pradesh become small entrepreneurs.
Misra has an organisation called Socents, which is dedicated to finding innovative solutions to society’s problems. Socents aims to bridge the gap between demand and supply in areas like retail, education, health and environment, by encouraging innovation and enterprise. It now functions through its flagship programme, Saudaagar.
Nearly 2% of Uttar Pradesh's population is disabled, mostly unemployed.
Saudaagar uses retail as a tool to create self-employment opportunities for more than 25,000 disabled people.
It does this by giving financial and infrastructure support to people with physical disabilities in every village of Uttar Pradesh with a population that is more than 2,000. These Saudaagar outlets stock daily household necessities, food and drinks, and medicines. Shopkeepers receive doorstep delivery through a strong distribution network.
The disabled have poor means of earning a living and most of them are from the lower sections of society. They are unaware of government schemes, and need counselling so they take up business as a form of livelihood. This counselling is done by Saudaagar’s field staff and telecallers.
Saudaagar, helps the physically disabled to set up retail shops
Once a beneficiary is identified, the organisation motivates him and then gets a bank loan for him. It also fixes rates with suppliers and ensures that stocks reach Saudaagar outlets.
The products are sourced directly from manufacturers and are distributed through Socents’ own channel to the Saudaagar outlets. So far, there have been 1,400 applications for setting up Saudaagar convenience stores.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
December 10, 2018
- Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
December 10, 2018
- 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
December 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Jet Airways cancels 14 flights as pilots didn’t show up for work
- Accessibility December 3, 2018 Welcome initiatives that shine a light on need for sexuality education for disabled people
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Congress backs Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh over Sidhu
- Get-hooked December 3, 2018 Neeraj George’s 300-km ride is all about determination and courage
- Accessibility December 3, 2018 Some fun activities for wheelchair users this winter
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Australian fans criticize local media for insulting Indian cricketers
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Parasports December 3, 2018 Disability Heroes - Why Javed Choudhari refuses to be defined by his disability
- Headlines December 3, 2018 Sushma Swaraj slams Pakistani minister for disrespecting Sikhs
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Deepika Padukone made 112 crore this year, makes it to top 5 of Forbes’ list
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 7, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News