This initiative is helping the physically disabled set up their own businesses!
Alok Misra, from Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh, is the brain behind Saudaagar, which is enabling the disabled in small town and rural Uttar Pradesh become small entrepreneurs.
Misra has an organisation called Socents, which is dedicated to finding innovative solutions to society’s problems. Socents aims to bridge the gap between demand and supply in areas like retail, education, health and environment, by encouraging innovation and enterprise. It now functions through its flagship programme, Saudaagar.
Nearly 2% of Uttar Pradesh's population is disabled, mostly unemployed.
Saudaagar uses retail as a tool to create self-employment opportunities for more than 25,000 disabled people.
It does this by giving financial and infrastructure support to people with physical disabilities in every village of Uttar Pradesh with a population that is more than 2,000. These Saudaagar outlets stock daily household necessities, food and drinks, and medicines. Shopkeepers receive doorstep delivery through a strong distribution network.
The disabled have poor means of earning a living and most of them are from the lower sections of society. They are unaware of government schemes, and need counselling so they take up business as a form of livelihood. This counselling is done by Saudaagar’s field staff and telecallers.
Saudaagar, helps the physically disabled to set up retail shops
Once a beneficiary is identified, the organisation motivates him and then gets a bank loan for him. It also fixes rates with suppliers and ensures that stocks reach Saudaagar outlets.
The products are sourced directly from manufacturers and are distributed through Socents’ own channel to the Saudaagar outlets. So far, there have been 1,400 applications for setting up Saudaagar convenience stores.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 #LovePossible - Newlyweds Shilpa & Danish Mahajan are setting serious couple goals
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 New initiative called iDARE in Goa aims to fight for the rights of disabled people
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News