This initiative is helping the physically disabled set up their own businesses!
December 31, 2017
Alok Misra, from Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh, is the brain behind Saudaagar, which is enabling the disabled in small town and rural Uttar Pradesh become small entrepreneurs.
Misra has an organisation called Socents, which is dedicated to finding innovative solutions to society's problems. Socents aims to bridge the gap between demand and supply in areas like retail, education, health and environment, by encouraging innovation and enterprise. It now functions through its flagship programme, Saudaagar.
Nearly 2% of Uttar Pradesh's population is disabled, mostly unemployed.
Saudaagar uses retail as a tool to create self-employment opportunities for more than 25,000 disabled people.
It does this by giving financial and infrastructure support to people with physical disabilities in every village of Uttar Pradesh with a population that is more than 2,000. These Saudaagar outlets stock daily household necessities, food and drinks, and medicines. Shopkeepers receive doorstep delivery through a strong distribution network.
The disabled have poor means of earning a living and most of them are from the lower sections of society. They are unaware of government schemes, and need counselling so they take up business as a form of livelihood. This counselling is done by Saudaagar's field staff and telecallers.
Saudaagar, helps the physically disabled to set up retail shops
Once a beneficiary is identified, the organisation motivates him and then gets a bank loan for him. It also fixes rates with suppliers and ensures that stocks reach Saudaagar outlets.
The products are sourced directly from manufacturers and are distributed through Socents' own channel to the Saudaagar outlets. So far, there have been 1,400 applications for setting up Saudaagar convenience stores.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News