This Surat homeopath is on a mission to promote eye donations
January 2, 2018
Dr Kulwant Gaur, a homoeopathic doctor in Kota, is not only treating patients but is also making a difference in the lives of people who have lost sight by persuading others to donate corneas.
Dr Gaur started his mission after watching child suffer from corneal blindness
39-year-old Dr Gaur has helped out with the donation of 295 pairs of corneas over the past six years. Whenever he gets to know about a death, he meets family members and convinces them to donate the corneas of the dead.
Dr Gaur says he was motivated to start doing this since 2011 when he saw a child suffering from corneal blindness after he was hit by a train at the Surat railway station. The child later died and Dr Gaur says he was so moved that he started seeking information about corneal blindness.
When he realised that corneal transplant was the cure he met with a former Rajasthan government official and formed an organisation called Shine India Foundation. He started extracting corneas from donors with the help of the technician. In the first year, he got only got two pairs of corneas.
No eye donations in Kota before Dr Gaur's efforts
The foundation organises expenses through public charity and sponsorships. He organises awareness programmes in places, particularly schools, to inspire people to donate their eyes and other organs.
Local experts Dr Gaur is doing exceptional work in creating awareness about eye and organ donation and also helping out with eye donation.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News