Odisha releases Braille calendar, almanac in local language
January 2, 2018
Odisha's blind population will get the 2018 calendar and almanac in the local Odia language in Braille format. The calendar and almanac in the Braille format has been printed and published by Computerised Braille Press in Berhampur.
Called Braille Dinapanjhika 2018, the printing has been sponsored by the Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department of the Odisha government. The calendar has been officially released on 1 January and will be sent free by post to all the blind schools in the state, educated visually impaired people and organisations working for the blind.
Any blind person can register to get this calendar free
Apart from days and dates as per the Gregorian calendar, this Braille calendar in Odia also gives information about important days in the Hindu calendar such as purnima, amavasya, and samkranti. All major festivals observed in Odisha have also been mentioned along with important national and international days as well as government holidays.
Each page of the calendar has famous excerpts from the works of renowned Odia writers. It also contains a section that lists all major schemes of the government for the blind and how to apply for them. The government hopes that the calendar will increase the practice of regular Braille reading among the blind.
This only Braille press of Odisha has been printing Odia calendar and almanac for the blind since 1992. This year, with the government sponsorship, over 1,000 copies have been printed.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some effective yoga poses for wheelchair users
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News