Odisha releases Braille calendar, almanac in local language
January 2, 2018
Odisha's blind population will get the 2018 calendar and almanac in the local Odia language in Braille format. The calendar and almanac in the Braille format has been printed and published by Computerised Braille Press in Berhampur.
Called Braille Dinapanjhika 2018, the printing has been sponsored by the Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department of the Odisha government. The calendar has been officially released on 1 January and will be sent free by post to all the blind schools in the state, educated visually impaired people and organisations working for the blind.
Any blind person can register to get this calendar free
Apart from days and dates as per the Gregorian calendar, this Braille calendar in Odia also gives information about important days in the Hindu calendar such as purnima, amavasya, and samkranti. All major festivals observed in Odisha have also been mentioned along with important national and international days as well as government holidays.
Each page of the calendar has famous excerpts from the works of renowned Odia writers. It also contains a section that lists all major schemes of the government for the blind and how to apply for them. The government hopes that the calendar will increase the practice of regular Braille reading among the blind.
This only Braille press of Odisha has been printing Odia calendar and almanac for the blind since 1992. This year, with the government sponsorship, over 1,000 copies have been printed.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News