This deaf teen with cerebral palsy lets her art do all the talking
Her story is the stuff films are made of.
Tjili (pronounced Chilli) Grant Wetherill was the only child to survive among triplets abandoned at a hospital in Cambodia in 2001.
Today she is 16 years old and is known as a talented artist whose work sells for thousands of pounds. Tjili, who is deaf and has cerebral palsy, cannot speak, but her talent does all the talking.
Her work has sold around the globe, raising thousands of pounds for charity. Four of her paintings are currently appearing on stamps in Tanzania. Her success is seen as an amazing story of triumph over adversity.
What is amazing is that Tjili is entirely self-taught and has created art in her own unique style.
Initially specialists said that her challenges might prevent her from sitting, standing, walking, and even managing everyday activities such as feeding herself. But her positive attitude along with hundreds of hours of occupational therapy, have enabled her to overcome many of her physical problems.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Travel in Goa becomes accessible thanks to Ezy Mov, the wheelchair taxi service
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Technology December 17, 2018 Microsoft introduces real-time captions and translations to Skype and PowerPoint
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018