This deaf teen with cerebral palsy lets her art do all the talking
Her story is the stuff films are made of.
Tjili (pronounced Chilli) Grant Wetherill was the only child to survive among triplets abandoned at a hospital in Cambodia in 2001.
Today she is 16 years old and is known as a talented artist whose work sells for thousands of pounds. Tjili, who is deaf and has cerebral palsy, cannot speak, but her talent does all the talking.
Her work has sold around the globe, raising thousands of pounds for charity. Four of her paintings are currently appearing on stamps in Tanzania. Her success is seen as an amazing story of triumph over adversity.
What is amazing is that Tjili is entirely self-taught and has created art in her own unique style.
Initially specialists said that her challenges might prevent her from sitting, standing, walking, and even managing everyday activities such as feeding herself. But her positive attitude along with hundreds of hours of occupational therapy, have enabled her to overcome many of her physical problems.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019