This blind classical pianist refuses to be defined by her disability
January 3, 2018
Pianist and singer Maria Greenan is known as one of Ireland's most outstanding musicians, and the fact that has overcome blindness to come this far, makes her story truly special.
Maria spends her time encouraging other people to never give up on their dreams
Life changed for Maria in when she was four years old in two very different ways. Her eyesight started to cause her trouble for the first time, but at the same time her father came across an old piano and brought it back to the family home in London.
Maria says that she refuses to be defined by her vision problems and while the lack of it affected her life, she does not live with any regrets.
Thanks to the piano her father found she pursued a degree in classical piano and now wants to motivate others who face difficulties.
Maria was diagnosed with glaucoma and has gone through more than 200 surgical procedures to try to stop the deterioration in her sight. She is now registered blind but still has some vision.
She attended mainstream school and was not treated differently. Her brother was always there to encourage her as well.
Maria launched her album Alchemist last January to critical acclaim and she also enjoys powerlifting. She enjoys it so much that she wants to make it to the Irish team.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News