Amputee ex-soldier, mountaineer set to challenge law banning disabled from scaling Everest
Hari Budha Magar lost his legs in a bomb explosion in Afghanistan seven years ago, but it did not stop him from dreaming about climbing Mount Everest.
Lost his legs in war, yet found the strength to climb mountains
The British Gurkha ex-soldier has been training for the past two years and has scaled Ben Nevis in Scotland, Mont Blanc in Europe, and Mera Peak and Gosainkunda in Nepal. He has also kayaked around the Isle of Wight in England.
A Nepalese citizen settled in England, Magar mortgaged his house to raise the Rs 2.2 crore he needs for the Everest expedition as no potential sponsor was willing to back him.
Nepal bans double amputees, blind from scaling Everest over safety fears
Just when he was all set, came the Nepal government's decision to ban double amputees, the blind and solo climbers from scaling Everest.
Many people have called the law discriminatory but Nepal believes that this is the only way to make climbing safer and reduce the number of deaths.
More than 290 people have died attempting to scale Everest, including two among the 29 disabled who tried.
Magar, who is now training at the Thorung La pass in Nepal, plans to challenge the legislation. He says he is doing this for everyone who wants to achieve their dreams.
"Nepal should be proud of me, not banning me" - Hari Budha Magar
Magar says that he is trying to give something back to his country. His campaign has attracted support from many mountaineers.
Watch in Sign Language
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
- Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
November 15, 2018
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Headlines November 8, 2018 PM Modi spends Diwali at Kedarnath, meets soldiers on India-China border
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 The story behind India's 1st inclusive expedition to Kilimanjaro
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Employment November 9, 2018 Career options for people with learning disabilities
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Employment November 11, 2018 Career choices for people with autism
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Virat Kohli apologises after getting trolled for 'Leave India' comment to fan
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News