What is dyspraxia and why is it so hard to diagnose?
January 4, 2018
Imagine a child who shows all the signs of regular or above average development and yet struggles with simple daily tasks like tying their shoe places or buttoning their shirt. Such a child may also struggle with expressing itself in speech and show some hyperactive tendencies.
Dyspraxia more prevalent in kids than ADHD, autism
These are signs of dyspraxia, which is also known as developmental co-ordination disorder (DCD). It is a condition that affects a child's motor skills making everyday activities, and age-relevant academic milestones hard to achieve,
It affects a significant number of school children, much more than ADHD and autism, and is more common in boys. Yet, it goes undiagnosed by many doctors.
Experts say that the diagnosis usually takes place when the child is in school and parents are usually told by doctors not to worry about it. There is a major lack of awareness among doctors and the impact is often not understood and therefore minimised.
Children with dyspraxia are often of above average intelligence, but they require different teaching tactics and lots of repetition. They work hard but lack of proper support or acknowledgment makes them unsuccessful and leads to feelings of low self-esteem and depression.
Kids also tend to withdraw from physical activity as they are not good at playing sports and become inactive. They are also socially isolated because they can't do what other kids are doing. They are often alone in the playground and become targets of bullying.
The good news about dyspraxia
With therapy and support, many children with dyspraxia can go on to live successful and independent lives. There are no medications to treat this but a combination of physiotherapy, occupational and speech therapy, can enable them to do activities that help maintain confidence and remain socially connected.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News