New system develops analytic thinking skills in blind kids
January 4, 2018
To develop analytic thinking in children with vision impairments, a group of students in Mexico City have developed a multi-sensory system that includes stories, jigsaw puzzles and stuffed toy animals.
System designed by students at university in Mexico
Called Mati Mati: Makes Visible the Invisible, the system reduces the difficulties of learning by developing analytic thought in blind children. It focuses on a strategy of sensory instruction which brings down the possibility of the data being altered by mistake due to lack of sight.
The solution offers information based on each of the senses like hearing, touch, haptics (related to touch) and smell.
The system consists of stuffed animals that can be taken apart, two 3D jigsaw puzzles and stories with visual information printed in ink, whose editorial design was developed based on the needs of children who were either blind or have limited vision. There is also a series of watercolour illustrations that complement each story.
Each of the senses is catered to strengthen analytic thinking skills
The stories include haptic images and the Braille system, which correspond to the sense of touch, while each one has its own audiobook so that users can hear the story narrated by the characters.
The stuffed animals, with their textures and materials, mimic the real feeling of the objects being taught. There are also smells related to the story and the puzzles are all designed to strengthen the analytic thought processes of blind youth as they try to take apart and then put each object together without anyone helping them.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News